The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Posted (edited)

In general I am not interested in much that any footballer has to say.

If Lammers gets picked up by a decent team then that would change.

I would then be interested to read his account of why he was completely ineffective for us and then transformed into a superstar as soon as he went on loan.

Edited by ranger_syntax

2 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I general I am not interested in much that any footballer has to say.

If Lammers gets picked up by a decent team then that would change.

I would then be interested to read his account of why he was completely ineffective for us and then transformed into a superstar as soon as he went on loan.

By all accounts, (his mainly, and those in the Netherlands) it's mostly due to him being played in his natural position.

As @Rousseau has preached.

Clement does shoehorn a wee bit, there's the caveat of injuries but.

5 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

and fans not howling at him when he took a poor touch

So, not playing in his natural position and not being good enough at handling pressure?

Posted (edited)

I was at Bartram's first game (If my memory is right, which doesn't often happen!), I think we beat Falkirk 3-1 at Ibrox and he scored?

Christ, I was right! Was gonna say I thought it was Bombers debut too.

https://therangersarchives.co.uk/bartram-jan/#:~:text=Jan Bartram (1988),what was his home debut.

Edited by Devil's advocaat

29 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

There was a Danish left back joined Rangers in the 80s by the name of Jan Bartram. He was highly rated, ended up spending most of his career in the Bundesliga and became the first choice Danish international left back at a time when Denmark had a good team. He joined Rangers and it was a disaster, he clearly hated the place, he left after 6 months, during that time he failed to dislodge Stuart Munro as our left back, gave an interview to a Danish paper where he described Souness as a 'beast' and a 'bastard' and complained about the physical nature of football in Scotland. He wasn't a bad player, just a bad fit. 

Lammers feels like this decade's Bartram. It's better all round if he leaves, he's not a bad player, just a bad fit. 

Wikipedia:

"[Bartram] got his national breakthrough with AGF in the top-flight Danish 1st Division championship as a left-sided attacking midfielder, and helped the club win the 1986 1st Division championship."

"[Bartram] signed for Scottish club Rangers, but his stay was a short one. He was assured by Rangers manager Graeme Souness that he would fit into his tactics, but found himself deployed as a strictly defensive full back."

Poor fit, or not used properly?  

You often get players that are good passers, for example, playing in Europe at centre-back or as a deep-lying playmaker.

They come to the UK and our dinosaurs think, 'oh - he can pass a bit, let's put him in the hole', and then wonder why it doesn't work out.