The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

9 hours ago, Scott7 said:

What, again?

But where else will we get a twenty goal a season full back? Personally, I’d settle for a defender.

Wonder if anyone has thought at any time having a team set out so that your right back can get 20 goals and assists a season might not be the right way to do it? 

F w i w, and don't shoot the messenger (nor the translator, for that matter):

'Joan Jordan's departure to the Glasgow Rangers is about to be unblocked, Assignment with option to buy €5 million.'

There are suggestions that, while JJ is willing to leave Sevilla, he is significantly less than enthusiastic about heading for the frozen north, and Dingwall on a February mid-week. 

I have to ask: if the player is so adamantly against the move, why is Rangers wasting time and effort negotiating with his club over financial terms, and conditions? Just a thought. 

Edited by Uilleam

24 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

F w i w, and don't shoot the messenger (nor the translator, for that matter):

'Joan Jordan's departure to the Glasgow Rangers is about to be unblocked, Assignment with option to buy €5 million.'

There are suggestions that, while JJ is willing to leave Sevilla, he is significantly less than enthusiastic about heading for the frozen north, and Dingwall on a February mid-week. 

I have to ask: if the player is so adamantly against the move, why is Rangers wasting time and effort negotiating with his club over financial terms, and conditions? Just a thought. 

Keeping the fans distracted whilst they try to sign another striker closer to home maybe 

4 minutes ago, compo said:

Keeping the fans distracted whilst they try to sign another striker closer to home maybe 

With all due respect, after watching yesterday's game, a striker is way down the list of priorities. 

RB, 2 x CB's, midfielder, then striker for me. 

2 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Wonder if anyone has thought at any time having a team set out so that your right back can get 20 goals and assists a season might not be the right way to do it? 

That argument doesn't really hold up. 

If you think he's scoring too many goals for a FB - most of his goals are penalties. He scores 3 to 8 non-penalty goals per season (5 is the average), and that doesn't take into account free-kicks. 5 goals is not unusual for a FB in today's game. Frimpong hit 14 goals last season for Leverkusen (albeit at wingback)! TAA, Robertson, Estupinan, Gvardiol, Lewis, Alex Moreno all have higher goals per 90 than Tavernier. 

If you think he's assisting too much - Robertson and TAA have better assist numbers at Liverpool and that's from two FBs in the same side. There are 6 FBs that have a higher assist per 90 in the PL than Tavernier. 

I would assume those numbers are repeated throughout the top five leagues - are you suggesting the best teams and managers in the world are making a mistake? 

28 minutes ago, CammyF said:

With all due respect, after watching yesterday's game, a striker is way down the list of priorities. 

RB, 2 x CB's, midfielder, then striker for me. 

Aye them as well 

41 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

If you think he's scoring too many goals for a FB - most of his goals are penalties. He scores 3 to 8 non-penalty goals per season (5 is the average), and that doesn't take into account free-kicks. 5 goals is not unusual for a FB in today's game. Frimpong hit 14 goals last season for Leverkusen (albeit at wingback)! TAA, Robertson, Estupinan, Gvardiol, Lewis, Alex Moreno all have higher goals per 90 than Tavernier. 

If you think he's assisting too much - Robertson and TAA have better assist numbers at Liverpool and that's from two FBs in the same side. There are 6 FBs that have a higher assist per 90 in the PL than Tavernier. 

I would assume those numbers are repeated throughout the top five leagues - are you suggesting the best teams and managers in the world are making a mistake? 

No, think back to when our attacking fullbacks under Gerrard were at their best. When they went forward tav had jack to cover and Borna had Kamara. In recent seasons that cover hasn’t been there or has not worked.

The examples you cite may well have similar cover from midfield or wingers. I haven’t seen enough of them to comment. Although I’m sure city and leverkusen don’t play 4 at the back?

It’s about balance and I don’t think we have had it for a long time.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

42 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Tav's average is 5 non-pen goals a season? Really? Is that league only? Seems really low. 

Anyway, why are we "talking down" Tavs goals and assist stats? Incredible numbers for a full-back no matter how one paints them. 

37 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Tav's average is 5 non-pen goals a season? Really? Is that league only? Seems really low. 

Anyway, why are we "talking down" Tavs goals and assist stats? Incredible numbers for a full-back no matter how one paints them. 

League only - easier to compare to others.