Yilmaz / Jefte

Dio

Barron

Cantwell / Lawrence 

McCausland 

Dessers / Danilo

Cortes 

Are you worried yet?

As I said above, the Scum didn't exactly run away with the title, more like we blew it, had loads of injuries, and VAR/refs made some ridiculous decisions. Those who have left, didn't exactly weaken us. 

Going by our 4-2-3-1 horror, we have ...

GK (1) - Butland, Kelly

RB (1) - Sterling, Devine, Balogun

CH (2) - Souttar, Balogun, Davies, Nsiala, King and Goldson

LB (1) - Ridvan, Jefte, Fraser

DM/CM (2) - Diomande, Raskin, Barron, Dowell (Lowry, Sterling, McKinnon, Fraser, King, Nsiala; Souttar)

AM right (1) - Cortes, Wright, McCausland, (Matondo, Lawrence, Lowry, Cantwell, Hagi)

AM left (1) - Matondo, Lawrence, (McCausland, Wright, Cortes)

AM - middle (1) - Cantwell, Hagi, Dowell, Diomande (Cortes, Wright, Danilo)

ST (1) - Danilo, Dessers, Lammers, Igamane

... every position is well covered, IMHO, if we play like we used to do. The system we play requires the "wingers" and the AM to ship in with goals in a similar way like Sima (whom we may still get back), and we have yet to see Cortes and Danilo get going. Perhaps this season Matondo will mature too, Lawrence staying fit and Dowell pinging passes all around the park?

My concern remains the system applied against the brickwall teams.

9 hours ago, Frankie said:

Sterling is a completely different player to Tav so I'm not sure he'll be his long term replacement at right back.

I'd be stunned if we tried to replicate what Tav has done at RB with another signing in that position.

Use his fee on the wings and upfront surely?

Not having a go like but I've seen so many people say 'how are we going to replace his output'.

A: We won't. Not at RB at least. You'll halve his goals output by putting someone else on set pieces for a start.

Plenty of options for us, one of them being keeping Sterling in his preferred position (!) and letting Jefte be the one to bomb on.

12 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

As I said above, the Scum didn't exactly run away with the title, more like we blew it, had loads of injuries, and VAR/refs made some ridiculous decisions. Those who have left, didn't exactly weaken us. 

Going by our 4-2-3-1 horror, we have ...

GK (1) - Butland, Kelly

RB (1) - Sterling, Devine, Balogun

CH (2) - Souttar, Balogun, Davies, Nsiala, King and Goldson

LB (1) - Ridvan, Jefte, Fraser

DM/CM (2) - Diomande, Raskin, Barron, Dowell (Lowry, Sterling, McKinnon, Fraser, King, Nsiala; Souttar)

AM right (1) - Cortes, Wright, McCausland, (Matondo, Lawrence, Lowry, Cantwell, Hagi)

AM left (1) - Matondo, Lawrence, (McCausland, Wright, Cortes)

AM - middle (1) - Cantwell, Hagi, Dowell, Diomande (Cortes, Wright, Danilo)

ST (1) - Danilo, Dessers, Lammers, Igamane

... every position is well covered, IMHO, if we play like we used to do. The system we play requires the "wingers" and the AM to ship in with goals in a similar way like Sima (whom we may still get back), and we have yet to see Cortes and Danilo get going. Perhaps this season Matondo will mature too, Lawrence staying fit and Dowell pinging passes all around the park?

My concern remains the system applied against the brickwall teams.

We fell apart spectacularly last season in the league due to injuries and let's be honest, some weird team selections, inverting our full-backs and adopting Warburtons 'plan B is do plan A better'.

On paper we are well covered in most positions, but in reality it's the same players who failed last season. You've included players like Lowry and Hagi who have had enough chances and Lammers who well is eh Lammers.

Then you have to factor in our usual injuries - Raskin and Igamane (unconfirmed) have already fallen foul of the curse. 

Selling Tav weakens us, not having Sima weakens us and we only have Dessers who looks likely to score more than 15 goals in a season (Danilo may but he is returning from a serious injury, so in reality, we will be relying on Dessers at the start of the season and he also Co.ing back from injury).

If our best chance of winning the league is hoping that the likes of Lawrence, Wright, Dowell and Matondo suddenly morph into great players then we are in bigger trouble than I thought. 

The squad of players above won't win the league and won't qualify for the CL Group stages..

3 minutes ago, yuddie said:

I'd be stunned if we tried to replicate what Tav has done at RB with another signing in that position.

Use his fee on the wings and upfront surely?

Not having a go like but I've seen so many people say 'how are we going to replace his output'.

A: We won't. Not at RB at least. You'll halve his goals output by putting someone else on set pieces for a start.

Plenty of options for us, one of them being keeping Sterling in his preferred position (!) and letting Jefte be the one to bomb on.

Very simplistic, but look at last seasons stats - we don't appear to have any players capable of assisting and / or scoring on a regular basis, the exceptions being Tav, Sima and Dessers.

We've lost Sima, Tav is about to leave, so that leaves Dessers who most want sold.

Mental.....

2 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Very simplistic, but look at last seasons stats - we don't appear to have any players capable of assisting and / or scoring on a regular basis, the exceptions being Tav, Sima and Dessers.

We've lost Sima, Tav is about to leave, so that leaves Dessers who most want sold.

Mental.....

So reinvest his fee in players who have a record of scoring?

Is that not how recruitment and this 'player trading model' works.

Moneyball, lose a big asset and recreate his attributes over several others you bring in.

If we lose Tav and sit on the money I'll personally apologise when the window slams shut.

4 minutes ago, yuddie said:

So reinvest his fee in players who have a record of scoring?

Is that not how recruitment and this 'player trading model' works.

Moneyball, lose a big asset and recreate his attributes over several others you bring in.

If we lose Tav and sit on the money I'll personally apologise when the window slams shut.

Tav will bring in £3-£4M and free up wages. That doesn't buy you much in today's market, especially if you are looking to buy proven goalscorers. 

We need to shift a few more from the squad - Goldson, Lammers (2 clubs have met our evaluation but can't agree personal terms), Davies, Matondo, Cantwell, Lawrence, Dowell, Yilmaz, Hagi et al.

Unrealistic that we'll move them all on, but to get a squad capable of winning the league and getting to CL we will need to generate money somehow. 

Do you agree that the current squad is way short of what is required?