The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

13 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Damning.

Thankfully, that's not my job, I'm just a fan, same as yourself.

I just don't see how selling / paying off players who contributed last season (and previous seasons in Tavs case) is going to suddenly improve us. 

Surely getting rid of the players who haven't/didn't contribute is the better strategy? 

2 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

There's a time to get rid, like we should have done with Alfie and Kent. Or do we just keep everyone

Exactly.  We should have learned our lessons by now.

As much as I can't stand him, Alex Ferguson was a master of getting rid of players at just the right time.  We could do with more of that harshness and less of the cloying sentiment.

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

As much as I can't stand him, Alex Ferguson was a master of getting rid of players at just the right time.  We could do with more of that harshness and less of the cloying sentiment.

Spot on, Gonzo.

8 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

There's a time to get rid, like we should have done with Alfie and Kent. Or do we just keep everyone, cos they used to have great numbers?.

It's a balance, yes the dead wood also has to go, but it's selling them that's the difficult bit.

Off course there's a time to sell players, however the two you mention don't really fall into that category. 

Tav has 1 year left on his contract and signed for £200,000 pounds. Unless an offer is accepted from Saudi we ain't getting much for him. His positive contribution to the team still outweighs his "negative" contributions. Not lose much keeping him for this season (and phase him out).

Dessers signed last season and scored 20 goals. If we can make a profit on him, we should definitely sell (same goes for any player). However, why should we sell at a loss when he's shown he can score goals? If he stays and scores 30 goals this season his value will rise. The issue we have is we paid over the odds for him. 

I don't think we are stable enough financially to sell assets at a loss and that goes against the player trading model we are trying to introduce. 

16 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Comparing apples with bananas.

SAF was selling from a position of power, managing a very successful team who's players were all international, and some even world class. So they were highly sought after.

We've had 1 (arguably 2) successful seasons in the last 2 decades.

Easy to sit and say we should have sold "x" two years ago not knowing of there were any interest in the player, or if indeed the player wanting to leave.

Thats not cloying sentiment, just cold hard facts.

EDIT - I think we have shown that we do and can sell players at the right time - Bassey, Patterson, Kamara and Aribo - circa £50M for players we paid very little for

Edited by CammyF

9 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Off course there's a time to sell players, however the two you mention don't really fall into that category. 

Tav has 1 year left on his contract and signed for £200,000 pounds. Unless an offer is accepted from Saudi we ain't getting much for him. His positive contribution to the team still outweighs his "negative" contributions. Not lose much keeping him for this season (and phase him out).

Dessers signed last season and scored 20 goals. If we can make a profit on him, we should definitely sell (same goes for any player). However, why should we sell at a loss when he's shown he can score goals? If he stays and scores 30 goals this season his value will rise. The issue we have is we paid over the odds for him. 

I don't think we are stable enough financially to sell assets at a loss and that goes against the player trading model we are trying to introduce. 

Sensible post.

What about Butland do you think if a decent offer landed on the table for him should we sell watching Kelly on Saturday he looked quite competent in goal 

26 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Easy to sit and say we should have sold "x" two years ago not knowing of there were any interest in the player, or if indeed the player wanting to leave.

Thats not cloying sentiment, just cold hard facts.

Cold hard facts based on guesswork.