The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, yuddie said:

We couldn't pick up a world class 33 year old either.

The difference between the two, conventionally at least, is that the younger player gets better the more he plays with good coaching whilst the older player will physically wane - and usually that happens quite suddenly (Casemiro, Utd). After a couple of seasons the 33 year old has 0 resale value whilst the 19 year old can be sold for millions.

The difference between the two is that all the top and wealthy clubs value players as you have stated. Younger players with potential come at a premium. Its why Wolves paid £35 million for Fabio Silva and Everton paid 12 million for Nathan Patterson with about 15 games under his belt.

The 'young is best' approach is fine if the players are achievable. I'm not arguing against that, I'm arguing its a hard market for us to compete in.

Even Ajax and PSV who have more spending power than us go out and bring in experienced guys like Jordan Henderson and Luuk de Jong to play alongside the prospects.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

4 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

The difference between the two is that all the top and wealthy clubs value players as you have stated. Younger players with potential come at a premium. Its why Wolves paid £35 million for Fabio Silva and Everton paid 12 million for Nathan Patterson with about 15 games under his belt.

The 'young is best' approach is fine if the players are achievable. I'm not arguing against that, I'm arguing its a hard market for us to compete in.

Even Ajax and PSV who have more spending power than us go out and bring in experienced guys like Jordan Henderson and Luuk de Jong to play alongside the prospects.

Aye that's fair - we've gone too far the other way.

As I say, a team with Butland and a Tav/McLean or whoever is fine - when it's 3 or 4 of those in a team all of a sudden you're chasing shadows against the likes of Ross County.

As an aside, Hendersons been a terrible buy for Ajax by all accounts and has been bombed out of the England squad.

I agree with your point though.

If we were to sell Butland for 10m+ who would you bring in as replacement?

The one people would point to is Angus Gunn.

I wouldn't mind Sam Johnstone as a keeper of a similar mould, especially as he's been displaced. I know a few baggies who really rated him as a keeper.

A Czech keeper on loan at Sturm Graz from Liverpool called Jaros would be a good loan to buy option imo, all of his metrics this season were impressive for a young keeper. If that's doable.

What you reckon?

Posted (edited)

IMHO, goalies have never been a problem for us. We need to spend the money on good defenders. That said, I don't mind freebies either. We've been toiling up front with our system, while we leaked far too many goals from those few chances the opposition creates. Our stats must be amongst the worst in the league.

Edited by der Berliner

The Rangers Review revealed that the Panamanian had emerged as a key target for boss Philippe Clement as he looks to strengthen his centre-back options ahead of the new campaign. Cordoba was in Glasgow for the Premiership fixture with Kilmarnock and was given a tour of Ibrox as Rangers looked to put a deal together.

But the Rangers Review can now reveal that Cordoba - who has also been linked with Norwich City - won’t be making the move to Scotland just days after saying his farewells to Levski Sofia. Clement has now turned his attentions to other targets as he gears up for a significant overhaul of the squad in the coming weeks.

Clement has already completed a switch for Brazilian left-back Jefte and is keen to bring former Motherwell keeper Liam Kelly back to Ibrox. Defender Leon Balogun is also poised to put pen-to-paper on a new contract to extend his stay for another season.

READ MORE: Check all the Rangers transfer news & rumours before the transfer window

Clement will lose the likes of Borna Barisic and John Lundstram, both of whom are set to sign for Trabzonspor, and striker Kemar Roofe when their contracts at Ibrox end.

Clement addressed the scale of his task over the summer break after seeing his side end the campaign with a defeat to Celtic in the Scottish Cup final on Saturday.

“It is a massive challenge because there is not much time,” Clement said. “That is the reality. You have qualifying games for Champions League in August, you have five league game also so that is nine games in four weeks. You need to rebuild the squad. We have several players out of contract who will leave the building so you need to replace them without money coming inside.

"That is also one thing. We need to be really inventive in our transfers and doing the smart things. It is going to be really challenging but we are busy already with that for months within the club. You see already that we bring in Jefte yesterday, who is a young player, talented. They will need also their time to adapt. How long? That is always difficult to predict. Some players they adapt really fast, some players need more time but we are working hard to get more quality in the building.”

17 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

They will need also their time to adapt. How long? That is always difficult to predict. Some players they adapt really fast, some players need more time

Spot on, boss.