Willie Collum appointed Head of Refereeing at Scottish FA

"Dutch referee awards four red cards, 15 minutes of injury time, celebrates with winning team and gets lifetime ban"

Will never happen in Scotland, the ban that is. 

At least the referee was honest, and that will never happen in Scotland. 

Dutch referee awards four red cards, 15 minutes of injury time, celebrates with winning team and gets lifetime ban

Eredivisie 

May 15, 2024

Dutch referee awards four red cards, 15 minutes of injury time, celebrates with winning team and gets lifetime ban - foot.mundo (footmundo.co.uk)

twin-16.png

Referee Jan Smit has been given a lifetime ban by the Dutch FA [KNVB], and it’s pretty easy to see why.

The official was in charge of a fourth-division match between St. George and SV De Valken, and to say his performance benefitted the home side would be one hell of an understatement.

During the course of the game, 61-year-old Smit handed out four red cards to SV De Valken, and with St. George needing to equalise to win the league, 15 minutes of stoppage time were awarded and they then scored the title-clinching goal.

Post-match Smit was seen on stage holding the championship trophy aloft with the players cheering on as he hoisted the prize. He then performed club anthem ‘Guardian Angel’ on the microphone in front of the celebrating supporters.

The KNVB, which is the governing body for the top tier Eredivisie downwards, has now handed Smit a lifetime ban from officiating football matches.

KNVB spokesperson Daan Schippers said in a statement: “We have received several complaints after Sunday’s match. This morning we called Mr Smit and told him that he is no longer allowed to referee matches. We expect a neutral attitude from a referee and that both teams are treated with respect.”

Despite the damning match statistics and footage of the celebrations, Smit has called the decision ‘laughable’.

Speaking to NH Nieuws, he said: “I can understand that SV De Valken is disappointed with the course of the match. However, in my opinion, the four red cards given were all one hundred per cent justified.

“Before the match I was asked by players from St. George if I wanted to sing a song afterwards. I have done that several times in the past, including at Spartans, VVS, Grasshoppers and also in Amsterdam at ASV Arsenal.”

“I said that if they were to become champions, I would like to sing a song. During the chorus of ‘The Guardian Angel’, the bowl was pressed into my hands and I held it up.

“De Valken, however, did not appreciate this. They just forwarded that video to the KNVB and filed a complaint.

“I wasn’t partying with the players at all. I just sang a song and held up the bowl once. That’s the only thing. I find it too sad for words that the KNVB is removing me for that reason.

“It’s laughable. The KNVB has not done any research and only watched one video. I assume that my career is now over.”

On 17/05/2024 at 03:23, Uilleam said:

"Dutch referee awards four red cards, 15 minutes of injury time, celebrates with winning team and gets lifetime ban"

Will never happen in Scotland, the ban that is. 

At least the referee was honest, and that will never happen in Scotland. 

Dutch referee awards four red cards, 15 minutes of injury time, celebrates with winning team and gets lifetime ban

Eredivisie 

May 15, 2024

Dutch referee awards four red cards, 15 minutes of injury time, celebrates with winning team and gets lifetime ban - foot.mundo (footmundo.co.uk)

twin-16.png

Referee Jan Smit has been given a lifetime ban by the Dutch FA [KNVB], and it’s pretty easy to see why.

The official was in charge of a fourth-division match between St. George and SV De Valken, and to say his performance benefitted the home side would be one hell of an understatement.

During the course of the game, 61-year-old Smit handed out four red cards to SV De Valken, and with St. George needing to equalise to win the league, 15 minutes of stoppage time were awarded and they then scored the title-clinching goal.

Post-match Smit was seen on stage holding the championship trophy aloft with the players cheering on as he hoisted the prize. He then performed club anthem ‘Guardian Angel’ on the microphone in front of the celebrating supporters.

The KNVB, which is the governing body for the top tier Eredivisie downwards, has now handed Smit a lifetime ban from officiating football matches.

KNVB spokesperson Daan Schippers said in a statement: “We have received several complaints after Sunday’s match. This morning we called Mr Smit and told him that he is no longer allowed to referee matches. We expect a neutral attitude from a referee and that both teams are treated with respect.”

Despite the damning match statistics and footage of the celebrations, Smit has called the decision ‘laughable’.

Speaking to NH Nieuws, he said: “I can understand that SV De Valken is disappointed with the course of the match. However, in my opinion, the four red cards given were all one hundred per cent justified.

“Before the match I was asked by players from St. George if I wanted to sing a song afterwards. I have done that several times in the past, including at Spartans, VVS, Grasshoppers and also in Amsterdam at ASV Arsenal.”

“I said that if they were to become champions, I would like to sing a song. During the chorus of ‘The Guardian Angel’, the bowl was pressed into my hands and I held it up.

“De Valken, however, did not appreciate this. They just forwarded that video to the KNVB and filed a complaint.

“I wasn’t partying with the players at all. I just sang a song and held up the bowl once. That’s the only thing. I find it too sad for words that the KNVB is removing me for that reason.

“It’s laughable. The KNVB has not done any research and only watched one video. I assume that my career is now over.”

Now THAT'S how you exit the building kids. 

Sixty-one, probably been reffin for 30 years...mic drop...lol!

......And Willie Collum will be in charge of Scottish referees and refereeing for the next 20 years or so. Let that sink in. 

Let the fact that (as I understand it) there will be no Scottish officials at the European Championships this Summer sink in, too. 

Ponder why one of Scotland's second -or third, or tenth (you choose)- rate officials is deemed worthy of preferment, of promotion to run refereeing: recruitment, training, development, and appointment to the top grades of officialdom. 

It, em, might make you think.

6 hours ago, Uilleam said:

......And Willie Collum will be in charge of Scottish referees and refereeing for the next 20 years or so. Let that sink in. 

Let the fact that (as I understand it) there will be no Scottish officials at the European Championships this Summer sink in, too. 

Ponder why one of Scotland's second -or third, or tenth (you choose)- rate officials is deemed worthy of preferment, of promotion to run refereeing: recruitment, training, development, and appointment to the top grades of officialdom. 

It, em, might make you think.

Willie’s now one of Peter’s place men

31 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Willie’s now one of Peter’s place men

He’s were some people want him el supremo the high heid yin he who must be obeyed 

• 2 weeks later...

We should do what the Greeks do for games between AEK, Olympiakos & Panathinaikos. They bring in foreign referees.

Just think if we’d foreign refs, we might have won the league last season had it not been for Collum, Walsh, Robertson & Clancy.

I genuinely  thought it was a wind up when I got told Collum was appointed head of referees