Summer 2024: Rip it up and start again?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Uilleam said:

A Kosovan one, I imagine. He plays/has played for Kosovo. 

There are often Albanian flags at Kosovo international matches.  The end goal is a greater Albania, so the majority of Kosovans, unfortunately, see themselves as Albanian.  Look at the symbols Granit Xhaka and Shaqiri did at Serbian fans when they played for Switzerland - their parents are Kosovars but the symbol was the double headed Albanian eagle.  

I think the Balkan market is a good place to look for players.  Just not Albanians.  

Edited by Gonzo79

What kind of Scotsman are you?

A British one. 

It is about time we took back Scotland and Scottishness from the shinner bastards, and assorted non-jurors of the SNP, Alba, and other deluded nationalists. 

Too true. De-clown Scotland. 

Btw if there is a nation/ethnicity that has always done well in British football it's african players.

Sima this year, Aribo and Bassey going back.

Even Balogun has for the most part been good for us.

It's a market with a proven track record in the UK and we should be targeting it.

I wouldn't mind a pre season tour in Cape Town! My old man took me a few times when I was a kid. Beautiful place.

Just now, yuddie said:

I wouldn't mind a pre season tour in Cape Town! My old man took me a few times when I was a kid. Beautiful place.

My ex wife is a Capetonian - you deliberately on the wind up!  😡  🤣

2 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

So you actually have met a nice South African? 😉

Gonzo79 did say she was his ex-wife, so not necessarily so......😉😀

10 hours ago, yuddie said:

Btw if there is a nation/ethnicity that has always done well in British football it's african players.

Sima this year, Aribo and Bassey going back.

Even Balogun has for the most part been good for us.

It's a market with a proven track record in the UK and we should be targeting it.

African isn't an ethnicity, it's a continent with hundreds of different ethnicities. Egyptians are Africans, Somalis are Africans and Namibians are Africans and they have almost nothing in common with each other. 

Your point is interesting. Aribo and Bassey are Londoners, both were raised there, Aribo was born there and Bassey moved there as a young child. They are Nigerian by heritage, but are basically English. Balogun is German. Again, Nigerian by heritage, but born and raised in Berlin. Dessers is Belgian, again Nigerian by heritage, but European in every other sense. 

Sakala was raised in Africa, Diomande was too. They'd be better gauges of how 'African' players can settle and adapt to life and football in Scotland. Culturally a number of African countries are anglophile and you'd imagine that gives the players a better chance of adapting. If they can speak English for a start, if they're from a Christian background, but that isn't definite. Sakala spoke English, came from Malawi which has a strong British influence, he seemed to settle quite well. Diomande, I assume, is Muslim, and was born in the Ivory coast, where French is the main language. However he spent a lot of time in Ghana, where English is widely spoken. 

I guess it will come down to the individuals more than anything else. How mentally strong they are, what kind of family structure they have around them, how well they play too. 

Posted (edited)

The world is a far smaller place these days so players from anywhere tend to settle quicker. Facetime etc keeps players more connected with loved ones and home. There has also been much more immigration than 20 years ago so there tends to be existing communities of people players can align with. Morelos had some Colombian community here he integrated with.

The Cifu situation was slightly different as his issue was the one thing that will never change, our rotten climate.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

10 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

African isn't an ethnicity, it's a continent with hundreds of different ethnicities.

South Africa, alone, has eleven official languages.  Xhosa is my favourite - nothing like sitting in a taxi (small buses over there) and the person next to you starts making clicking noises.