Controversial Decisions: Despite its intention to improve accuracy, VAR has led to contentious decisions. Players, managers, and fans have expressed frustration when goals are disallowed or awarded based on fine margins, often involving offside calls or subjective judgments1.

1. Technical Limitations:

2. Subjectivity and Consistency:

• Referee Interpretation: VAR decisions still involve human judgment. Referees interpret incidents differently, leading to inconsistencies in how VAR is applied across matches.
    • Emotional Impact: VAR’s intervention can alter the emotional dynamics of a game. Celebrations are cut short, and goals are disallowed after lengthy reviews, affecting players and fans alike.
  3. Reduced Excitement: While fans now witness VAR decisions on screens, almost half believe that its introduction has made football less exciting. The anticipation of celebrating a goal has been dampened by the uncertainty of VAR reviews1.

In summary, while VAR aims to enhance fairness, its flaws highlight the delicate balance between precision and preserving the spirit of the game. Football continues to grapple with finding the right balance in leveraging technology without compromising the essence of the sport. 

8 hours ago, Fa1833 said:

Players, managers, and fans have expressed frustration when goals are disallowed or awarded based on fine margins, often involving offside calls or subjective judgments.

So, basically how it was before VAR. :facepalm: 

Posted (edited)

VAR, VAR, on the wall,
Who's the fairest of them all?
Is it the ref, or is it me?
I'm confused, I cannot see.

The ball went in, or so I thought,
But VAR says it was offside, caught.
I'm left to wonder, what's the truth?
Did VAR make the right call, or was it uncouth?

The fans are angry, the players too,
They're all shouting, "What did you do?"
VAR just shrugs, and says with a grin,
"I'm just a machine, I can't commit a sin."

So there you have it, VAR's decision,
It's final, there's no revision.
We'll just have to accept the call,
And hope that next time, we won't fall.

our next song if we can remember it 

(Verse 1)
VAR, VAR, what's the score?
I can't keep up anymore.
The ref's on the pitch, but he's not in charge,
It's the machine that's living large.

(Chorus)
VAR, VAR, it's a mystery,
It's changing the game, can't you see?
It's making us laugh, it's making us cry,
It's the star of the show, oh my!

(Verse 2)
The ball goes in, the crowd goes wild,
But wait, the ref's not sure, he's feeling mild.
He checks the screen, he takes his time,
And then he makes the call, it's sublime.

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
Some say it's fair, some say it's not,
But we can all agree, it's a robot.
It's got no heart, it's got no soul,
But it's making the decisions, that's the goal.

(Chorus)

IMG_0845.jpeg

Edited by Fa1833

15 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I've moved the thread to the general football forum. 

I’ve just done one for parking near Ibrox and how I was parking in a space that wasn’t there  to rent out 🤣 I was wondering what areas to use and avoid or sites to use? is there a post about this if so you can delete 

3 minutes ago, Fa1833 said:

I’ve just done one for parking near Ibrox and how I was parking in a space that wasn’t there  to rent out 🤣 I was wondering what areas to use and avoid or sites to use? is there a post about this if so you can delete 

We have a Rangers forum for Rangers stuff - your parking post is fine there. 

We have a General Football forum for world football stuff - your VAR post is covering wider VAR issues in football. 

We have the Bluenose Lounge for non-football related stuff, politics etc. 

We have Forum Support for ... forum support issues. 

Man Utd Vs Wigan game last night I never seen it but was it the right call from the referee or could VAR have stepped in ? 

comment from a Man Utd supporter BBC sport app   ⬇️ 

There was contact for the penalty, but football is a contact sport. Fernandes could have absolutely kept on going. He made an active decision to fall over. I am a Man Utd fan, but even I felt bad for Wigan when that was given. Aly

2 minutes ago, Fa1833 said:

Man Utd Vs Wigan game last night I never seen it but was it the right call from the referee or could VAR have stepped in ? 

comment from a Man Utd supporter BBC sport app   ⬇️ 

There was contact for the penalty, but football is a contact sport. Fernandes could have absolutely kept on going. He made an active decision to fall over. I am a Man Utd fan, but even I felt bad for Wigan when that was given. Aly

There was no VAR anyway, iirc. 

Debate kicking of on BBC sports app be interesting to see what others are thinking. 

The advent of VAR in football has utterly sapped the soul out of the best part of the game: the scoring of a goal. Now, as the ball hits the back of the net, instead of erupting into ecstatic cheers, we find ourselves mired in a maddening limbo, our joy on a leash, as we await the cold, clinical verdict of a video replay. This isn't the football I fell in love with; this isn't the sport where spontaneous jubilation united strangers in collective euphoria. The game's fluidity is now constantly interrupted by jarring stoppages, referees second-guessing themselves, and fans bewildered by perplexing rulings. It feels like we're trading the game's human heart for technological precision, but what's the point if it strips away the raw emotion, the very essence of football? We wanted fairness, but not at the cost of the game's soul, not if it means the purest form of happiness in the sport is diluted by the sterile anticipation of approval from an unseen, all-seeing electronic eye. Football was never meant to be perfect; it's the flaws, the human errors, and the instant drama that gave it its life. VAR, is turning our beautiful, flowing game into a stop-start spectacle that's as much about waiting as it is about watching. Get rid.

Jake