Rangers in Barcelona, 1972

Did anyone catch any of this game on Rangers TV last night?

I wish I had recorded it as I only caught some of it.

I was incredibly surprised at the fitness, pace and skill of the Rangers players as I usually base my comparisons of modern football with that of the early 80's.

Most of those players would get in our team now if they were transported forward in time. It shows we've only moved on in defensive tactics.

There wasn't even much need for the pass back rule as the tactic was rarely used in this very attacking game.

The running, dribbling, tracking back and tackling were all superb. Long passes went unerringly to their man and the shots were pretty good.

The tackles were huge and the commitment into them unbelievable - however Dinamo were a very attacking team who picked up the loose balls very quickly.

Peter McCloys kicks were almost box to box and so high that the players had plenty of time to run to receive them after he had played the ball to keep on side.

In fact they looked higher than the huge Nou Camp stadium.

It was on late so I fell asleep at 3-0.

Very, very impressed with that team as it's the first time I've seen it.