3 hours ago, Gribz said:

On ESPN the other day Steve Nicol and Craig Burley were asked their top 5 Scottish players of all time - they found it impossible. Denis Law and Dalglish was Nicols top 2 but after that he was in double figures in seconds

Of those I saw play at an age when I was competent to make my own judgement rather than rely on what my big brother said, Baxter, Law, Smith (Hibs) Dalglish, Caldow.

3 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Aye.

Better than Smith, more solid than Rough without Rough’s ability to make the occasional impossible save. Can’t remember what he was like at saving penalties but he was good at taking them.

Absolutely.

Have to say I love the nostalgia stuff about late 80s and 90s Scottish (and some english) football. And I cant believe with the list of proper players how no manager has ever got us beyond knock out stages. 

Sportscene, Scotsports, The Green Final was my weekend. 

Always thought Henry Smith was decent - yet Hearts should have wont a title (86) but Rough was exactly that - Rough! But I didnt see him before 85. Yet I remember watching Dundee Utd and McAlpine pulling of top corner saves etc. 

3 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Of those I saw play at an age when I was competent to make my own judgement rather than rely on what my big brother said, Baxter, Law, Smith (Hibs) Dalglish, Caldow.

You have hit the nail on the head. (I hope Gonzo isnt here as time machines make everything irrelevant 😄)

I always think you have to have seen the player for a good period of judgement time...that makes it tricky. 

Goram and Leighton get in for me. I'll need to hit the black board to think about another 3. 

On 18/10/2024 at 15:33, Scott7 said:

Here are the Scotsman readers’ twenty best uncapped Scottish footballers. 

Andy Ritchie, Morton.

Chic Charnley, Thistle.

John McMaster, Aberdeen.

Neale Cooper, Aberdeen.

Gordon Wallace, Dundee.

Craig Brewster, Dundee Utd.

Bobby Russell, Rangers.

John Brown, Rangers.

Alex Rae, Sunderland.

John McGovern, Forest.

Alan Gordon, Heart, Hibs.

Kevin McAllister, Falkirk/Hibs.

Alex Edwards, Dunfermline/Hibs

Bobby Cox, Dundee.

Stephen Dobbie, QoS.

Hamish McAlpine, Dundee Utd.

Ralph Milne, Dundee Utd.

Jim Duffy, Dundee.

Billy Stark, Aberdeen.

Tommy Bryceland, St Mirren.

Cox, Edwards, Russell and Brown were unlucky not to be capped. Some fine players among the rest, Bryceland in particular, but mostly old-style B International material.

John McGovern not capped? Wow, that is a scandal. Apart from the Liverpool contingent at the time, he must be the player who has won the most honours in his time at Derby and Forest? 

10 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

John McGovern not capped? Wow, that is a scandal. Apart from the Liverpool contingent at the time, he must be the player who has won the most honours in his time at Derby and Forest? 

He wasn't a 'showy' player - just quiet and efficient. Maybe that was the reason, but Clough was some judge of a player.

On 19/10/2024 at 07:45, Gribz said:

I remember Hamish McAlpine just at the end of his career and you guys can confirm if he was better than Alan Rough and Henry Smith??

Rough was a far better keeper than the other two. McAlpine better than Smith.

8 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Rough was a far better keeper than the other two. McAlpine better than Smith.

Henry Smith used to drink in the Hewlett Packard Social Club in South Queensferry (think in lived in The Ferry) and once left the club in disgust when a sharp-tounged punter said to him "mind not drop that tray of drinks" as he walked away from the bar!

He and Hamish McAlpine also appeared for one of the HP sports days for a "beat the goalie" compition.  A younger, fitter Cammy F managed to beat Smith but not McAlpine. So you are correct, McAlpine was better than Smith 😉😄