Attitude toward young players breaking through

While I ate my lunch this afternoon I watched Jude Bellingham's first Real Madrid press conference. At seven minutes thirty this young pro talks about the benefit of playing with mature pros from a young age. If your good enough your old enough. Rangers and a lot of supporters seem to think young players need nurturing/molly codling, a slow introduction to the first team. I disagree. Many truely great players got thrown in at the big boy end and thrived. I will attach the video for your perusal.

Edited by Graeme Ro55

To be fair, Bellingham is a class apart.  We haven't produced any great players since Barry Ferguson and Allen McGregor.   

And at Rangers, every defeat is a crisis - it's not like other clubs.  

19 minutes ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

While I ate my lunch this afternoon I watched Jude Bellingham's first Real Madrid press conference. At seven minutes thirty this young pro talks about the benefit of playing with mature pros from a young age. If your good enough your old enough. Rangers and a lot of supporters seem to think young players need nurturing/molly codling, a slow introduction to the first team. I disagree. Many truely great players got thrown in at the big boy end and thrived. I will attach the video for your perusal.

Great post @Graeme Ro55. A certain Derek Johnstone comes immediately to mind. Jock Wallace knew.

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

To be fair, Bellingham is a class apart.  We haven't produced any great players since Barry Ferguson and Allen McGregor.   

He's only a "class apart" because he got on the park to show it. 

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

He's only a "class apart" because he got on the park to show it. 

To an extent.  There will be a few factors involved though, like natural talent, desire and physique.  

Scottish players at youth levels usually look younger and weaker than foreigners.  

It's a brave manager who will blood youngsters and keep them in the side ahead of experience and investments that the club have made, it's just the nature of it.

I fully believe you could plug Lowry, Devine or King into this team singularly and they'd do fine..some stellar performances and some bad ones, which has been the case for both Devine and King. If we can't do that then flip them for profit and give them careers as professionals, it's a good reflection of the academy and we can be proud of it and them.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

To an extent.  There will be a few factors involved though, like natural talent, desire and physique.  

Scottish players at youth levels usually look younger and weaker than foreigners.  

At nineteen Alex Lowry could have & should have played a hell of lot more first team football by now for me. It's not like he is trying to break through into the quality of team Barry Ferguson did.

17 minutes ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

At nineteen Alex Lowry could have & should have played a hell of lot more first team football by now for me

The management team will watch him every day in training and their jobs rely on Rangers winning.  They'll pick what they think is the best team.

There were rumours about him having a poor attitude.  

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Charlie Adam and Alan Hutton were decent to be fair.