Season over and he played 5 games!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7055869.stm

Now he has to wait until April for a competitive game. He was mad to go to the USA for footballing reasons. But finanically he is very clever - whats he on again 300k a week or something silly?.

I still think he sold out to football though. He could have went to AC Milan or back to the Premiership and I have no doubts he would then be playing for England regularly and going to the Euro's next summer.

IF anf its a big If England sneak into the Euro's (which I think they will coz I can see Israel getting something off Russia) then the big question is will he leave his domestic season (April to Octo) to play for england or will he be allowed?

I think he just wants 100 caps for his own record.

He was sold out by Real, made to sit it out and then they needed him to save there season - which he did.

He has gone there for his family. Pure and simple. They are made for life. And when he hangs his boots up he won't be a washed up pr1ck like Best was, he will be rolling in it with Posh, and his kids will never have to work a day.

Good luck to him.

On a side note, 3 months at the Gers from Jan to Mar would be nice!:)

Guest SerbianLoyal

England won't sneak into Euro 2008 (It would be a shame if they do after all disgraceful performances) and your got the point with your last sentence. Once great player now just a selfish self promoter...

How can you say it was daft him moving to LA? Look at what he's getting paid. Doesn't seem daft to me at all.

Agreed.

It is the WISEST thing he probably has ever done. Reasons.....

1. Football is a short career and much as though we chastise it, players should make as much as they can whilst they have that career.

2. Beckham gets paid GBP25 million per year for the next 5 years. That is good financial and business sense.

3. He has a 5 yr contract which takes him to his 36th birthday - how many 36 yr olds in the game do you know who are getting GBP 25 mill a year ? NONE.

4. As the MLS is a fledgling, minor league I don't think he will be under nearly as much pressure as he would be in La Liga, the EPL, Serie A etc

5. His wife, and he apparently, would like to break into movies - what better place than Hollywood ?

From a footballing sense it perhaps wasn't the wisest move - however, from a monetary and business decision sense he could not have made a wiser move.

I sometimes get the impression that those who say he sold out or who believe he was stupid to move say that because they are somewhat jealous of what he has - me, I say "good for you Beckham - for a dumb fvcker you actually made a good move"

I dont think anyone has ever doubted it as a bad move financially. And I dont think we could be more jealous just coz he moved to the US, he wasnt exactly skint when he was at Man U or Madrid either with his wage and sponsorship deals.

I just thought he was a footballing man and IMO he has let his country and dignity (footballing terms) down by giving up top flight football for a league which equals the championship at best, and probably having the decision made by his wife. He cant possibly expect to play for England when he isnt kicking a ball over there due to the close season, and then next season he is playing a low standard.

As i said before I think he just wants his 100th england cap then he will retire from international football. Its a shame coz I rate him as a very good player and he could easily be playing at the likes of Milan, Chelsea or Arsenal at the moment - all who were rumoured to wanting him.

The problem is if we were all in his shoes with that offer we would have all taken it for the cash plus the US isnt exactly the worst place to live - thats just the greed in society though where money comes first. Becks was sorted for life years ago though.

If he and posh become Hollywood stars in movies then there is hope for absolute anyone.

I disagree that he was letting his country down as at the time he agreed to join LA Galaxy he wasn't in McLaren's plans.

I doubt the decision was made bu his wife either - maybe it is me but if I was offered 10 mill a year to play in the EPL, La Liga etc (and lets not forget that Beckham did NOT have that kind of offer - he may have received one but at that point it wasnt on the table) and was offered 25 mill a year for FIVE years from the MLS I am pretty sure I would take the 25 mill - a nice salary to wind down your footballing career having played at the top for 15 years. I believe the decision was made by BOTH of them.

I hear what you say about not playing for England Gribz but lets not forget that

1. When he signed for Galaxy he wasnt in England's plans and

2. He played in a qualifier whilst a Galaxy player and played well (I believe) so the standard of football didn't make too much of a difference to him.

The travelling may be another factor altogether - but again if it is he case that he and/or his wife want to be in the movies then this was the best move they could have made. And let's not forget that his career is on the downward incline (as he is over 30) so he had to start thinking about the longer term, post football career.

Those clubs were RUMOURED to be wanting him - do we know for sure ? Does it matter ? As you say, he was sorted for life financially years ago - that being the case can we just believe him when he says that he went to the US to try to increase the popularity of the game there and to tap into a HUGE market ? Because that was his explanation - personally I don't believe it but if he was sorted financially then maybe, just maybe, he is telling the truth.

The US can be a good place to live - the only downside is it is full of Americans (JOKING.... or am I racially stereotyping ?) but it also has its moments too.

Gribz.... you know as well as I do that there are some AWFUL actors making a very decent living from movies. I actually think that Beckham could make a living in movies if he wanted to - you don't have to be good to be in movies and it is proven often enough.

I disagree that he was letting his country down as at the time he agreed to join LA Galaxy he wasn't in McLaren's plans.

I see what your saying in your post but he always stated he wont give up playing for England and will always be available and will push to get back into the squad. A move to a lower standard isnt going to help him get back into the squad though. He is only 31/32 and certainly has 2-3 more years in him.

I doubt the decision was made bu his wife either - maybe it is me but if I was offered 10 mill a year to play in the EPL, La Liga etc (and lets not forget that Beckham did NOT have that kind of offer - he may have received one but at that point it wasnt on the table) and was offered 25 mill a year for FIVE years from the MLS I am pretty sure I would take the 25 mill - a nice salary to wind down your footballing career

I certainly think Posh would have pushed him towards the US move. She could probably think of nothing else other than trying to outscore other stars. Im sure Becks found the thought of the lifestyle good aswell though and the money would be a dream come true.

I hear what you say about not playing for England Gribz but lets not forget that

1. When he signed for Galaxy he wasnt in England's plans and

2. He played in a qualifier whilst a Galaxy player and played well (I believe) so the standard of football didn't make too much of a difference to him.

Point 1 - same as i said above although McLaren did state the door was never closed. I cant believe he signed and was thinking he wont play for england again.

RE 2 - His own game wouldnt drop over the space of 1 game, it will down downhill over a period of time until he is used to playing in that league, then when he comes up against a good European side again he will realise the difference.

Those clubs were RUMOURED to be wanting him - do we know for sure ?

I think the Milan deal was pretty concrete. And wasnt he offered a new deal at Madrid anyway?

The US can be a good place to live - the only downside is it is full of Americans (JOKING.... or am I racially stereotyping ?) but it also has its moments too.

Amen :cheers:

But how was Beckham letting his country down when McClaren came in and the first thing he did was drop him from the squad - I think that Beckham would have seen that as a slap in the face. So why should he not go and chase his dreams elsewhere ? He had won everything worth winning in club football.

I agree that posh would have tried to convince him that the US was the place to go - but they are a family so I am sure they make decisions as a family - and 25 mill a year is a pretty big incentive in itself.

McClaren maybe stated the door wasn't closed - but that pretty much was what he did at that point. Beckham was dropped not just as captain but as a squad player.

I am not convinced that Beckham's game would drop either - some of these US teams have some very decent players playing for them. Besides Beckham has always looked after himself and apparently loves training - different I know from a real game atmosphere but he has enough quality to overcome the inferiority of the league.

Yes he was offered a new deal at Madrid but only after the dicked him around. Why on earth would he sign a new deal for them when they had told him they didn't want him... then they needed him to help them win the league... which he duly did... and then they offer him a new deal - long AFTER he had been told he wasnt wanted and after he had signed for Galaxy. Not sure about the Milan deal.

But how was Beckham letting his country down when McClaren came in and the first thing he did was drop him from the squad - I think that Beckham would have seen that as a slap in the face. So why should he not go and chase his dreams elsewhere ? He had won everything worth winning in club football.

Beckham didnt let his country down there and then but more so for the future. Its more of a sell out than a let down. I think England still needs a Beckham who is playing in the top flight.

Yes he would have seen it as a slap in the face but he doesnt have a divine right to be in the squad and dropping him give him the boot up the ass he needed and he stepped up his game last season at R Madrid again.

Beckham was dropped not just as captain but as a squad player.

It woud have been interesting to see had ne not given up the captaincy.

I am not convinced that Beckham's game would drop either - some of these US teams have some very decent players playing for them.

No no no!! Come on now. Depending where Beckham played in europe he would have been up against Inter, Juve, Roma in italy, Barca, Valencia, Seville in Spain or Man U Liverpool etc had he went to England. He would also be up against the cream of europe in the champions league.

Im sorry but playing Washington or Dallas every week is easily going to change his game.

Not only playing in the US league will lower his standard but the timing of the season is going to have a huge effect. He now wont play a competitive game until April.