[FT] Ross County 0 - 1 Rangers (Lundstram 35)

16 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

There's a player in Matondo, hopefully Beale and some confidence can tease it out soon. He was a wee bit unlucky tbh, gave keeper the eyes, did the right thing, was a couple of inches away from taking it round him.

It's all about fine margins though eh, look at Sakalas goal in midweek, horrific first touch, second touch even worse, then slashes at the third. But, it ends up in the net so no one talks about it.

Agree, he is only 22. Long long way to go with him

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Celtc aren't exactly thumping anyone at the moment either.  

We didn't play well tonight but were largely in control and if Kamara, Sakala and Matondo had managed to get a decent shot away we'd have walked it.  

Did folk expect us to waltz matches with a new manager, despite the horrendous injury list and lack of confidence in the squad?  

Celtic don’t need to thump anyone. They are 6 points ahead, game in hand and about 20 goals better off. They have also had us on toast in the league. They are coasting.

Don’t expect us to waltz anything.  These 3 performances under Beale remind me of the games we played this time last year under Gio and we all know what came shortly after. Would like to see some spark or something as a point of comfort but naturally happy picking up wins again. 

We need to improve chance creation, create more clear cut chances ( our best chances last night were when county came out more towards the end) and have more threat at set pieces. 

The defensive shape and structure will improve over time I’m confident of that.

Im being harsh but we cant rely on many of these sick notes ever coming back and should be planning to replace them with hungry for players who want to play and who physically can play 90 mins twice a week over the course of a season.

10 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I’ve seen a few people say that Devine had a good game and yeah he did ok. But I think it was clear to me that he found himself in so much space so often as County didn’t think he could hurt them and other than that Sakala chance in the second he didn’t. Not a criticism of Adam Devine more of how County defended.

He's just one more of our squad being played out of position. What I'd like to see is Devine played at RB and then assessment of his performance might have some meaning. It might also improve our defensive capabilities because Tav gets more of a liability with every game - if it wasn't for his role taking every corner, free kick and throw in, it would be hard to say what he did in the last 3 games.

18 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Celtic don’t need to thump anyone. They are 6 points ahead, game in hand and about 20 goals better off. They have also had us on toast in the league. They are coasting.

Don’t expect us to waltz anything.  These 3 performances under Beale remind me of the games we played this time last year under Gio and we all know what came shortly after. Would like to see some spark or something as a point of comfort but naturally happy picking up wins again. 

We need to improve chance creation, create more clear cut chances ( our best chances last night were when county came out more towards the end) and have more threat at set pieces. 

The defensive shape and structure will improve over time I’m confident of that.

Im being harsh but we cant rely on many of these sick notes ever coming back and should be planning to replace them with hungry for players who want to play and who physically can play 90 mins twice a week over the course of a season.

But most of these "sick notes" have played twice a week for the last 2 seasons.

Maybe worth listening to the manager. He has inherited a squad lacking in confidence with dropping fitness levels and a horrendous injury list.

Slowly but surely players are returning from injury and we should have Borna, Colak and Roofe available for Motherwell. 3 great options including our top goal-scorer and Roofe who is best finisher at the club.

We are also witnessing players willing to play through injury for this manager when previously they may have decided not to play (Tav, Alfie, JL as examples).

Regarding players playing with injuries its a "no win" situation. Some fans want players "dropped" or rested of they are injured (or ill) others want players to play through the pain. 

The sickness bug that has gone through the squad is unavoidable but has knocked a few players for six but hopefully run its course.

It appears from what I'm hearing one of the main reasons the board wanted Beale was due to how fit we were when he was here previously.

Getting the squad back to full fitness and brimming with confidence will take more than 3 weeks and 3 games (excluding the friendly). 

There is nothing we can do other than support Beale and support the players - as an example, booing at 1-2 at halftime against Hibs wasn't supporting Beale and the players.

However, song book aside, it appears we have a different breed of fan away from Ibrox who support the team from 1st minute to the 97th minute (if that's what's required). 

Edited by CammyF

2 minutes ago, CammyF said:

However, song book aside, it appears we have a different breed of fan away from Ibrox who support the team from 1st minute to the 97th minute (if that's what's required). 

Appears? Hasn't it always been that way since the dawn of football.

Just now, Bill said:

Appears? Hasn't it always been that way since the dawn of football.

Nah, maybe it's because I started going during the John Greig / Jock Wallace 2nd stint wilderness years, it was mostly same fans home and away (as there weren't many of us if truth be told). 

Ibox is a like a library and without UBs it would completely silent other than moans, shouting abuse at our own players and booing if we are not 3 up after 20 minutes. 

Watching Rangers at Ibrox isn't a pleasurable experience most games and not just down to the performances on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

Nah, maybe it's because I started going during the John Greig / Jock Wallace 2nd stint wilderness years, it was mostly same fans home and away (as there weren't many of us if truth be told). 

Ibox is a like a library and without UBs it would completely silent other than moans, shouting abuse at our own players and booing if we are not 3 up after 20 minutes. 

Watching Rangers at Ibrox isn't a pleasurable experience most games and not just down to the performances on the pitch. 

I started well before Jock Wallace appeared on the scene and the away support was always more .... keen.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

I started well before Jock Wallace appeared on the scene and the away support was always more .... keen.

Maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me but I remember my trips to Ibrox back then as fondly as I remember my trips to away games. Maybe the naivety of youth over now being a grumpy auld git.

These days I'd take an away ST over a home ST every day of the week (not that I go to many due to lack of tickets).

17 minutes ago, CammyF said:

But most of these "sick notes" have played twice a week for the last 2 seasons.

The past doesn’t matter. All that matters is what’s possible moving forward. No room for sentiment in football. We have a bloated squad because we have so many who can’t play 2 games a week. I think our manager recognises this.

Our manager will have a list in his head with just about every player 19-24 who played u-19 for EPL clubs when he was at Liverpool and Chelsea and I hope he taps into it. We need some young hungry players.

3 hours ago, CammyF said:

It's OK tho, as Matondo is the "whipping boy" and the "laughing stock" as we've got to have one and it's his time.

To be fair to Matondo, he's not getting special treatment. He's earned his criticism by his own efforts. The moment he stops playing like Violet Beauregarde he might earn some praise too. They perform, we react, that's how this thing works.