The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

4 minutes ago, CammyF said:

But clubs aren't going just hand their best players to us just because we're Rangers and our fans demand signings to happen immediately.

Haha aye that’s what I said we should do. 

Other clubs manage to do things in a time efficient manner. We have a habit or taking a while. This windows not a one off.

10 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Haha aye that’s what I said we should do. 

Other clubs manage to do things in a time efficient manner. We have a habit or taking a while. This windows not a one off.

Haha - but it doesn't matter if you sign players 1st day of window is open or the day it closes - as long as you get players you want. Same end result. 

5 hours ago, CammyF said:

The manager said yesterday he is happy with the way the transfers are progressing.

Would you rather we signed any Tom, Dick or Harry to appease the "supporters" or work hard to ensure we sign the correct players who'll help the manager achieve his goals and the club theirs? 

Looks like Cantwell is close, we've  had an initial bid for the lad from Swansea knocked back (I'm sure there will be some ongoing negotiations there).

If we haven't  signed anyone after the window closes, then that's the time to question Wilson and / or the board. 

In the meantime, stick a couple of tinnies in the fridge, relax and enjoy tonight's game. 

Fair enough, it’s a question I posed, not a statement. However with our squad racked with injuries, 9 behind our rivals, a new manager who came in with a list of players he gave to Wilson/the board to try to get in, I am sure most of us were hoping that we done our work early and had the new players already settled in and playing by now, hence the question. Our rivals had 3 lined up and ready for the window opening to add to their already massive squad, indeed one played against us only 2 days into the window opening. To my mind that’s where we should have been, so I was asking what the general feeling was for why everything seems to taking sooooo long?

11 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

After the match tonight I only want new fullbacks, a new midfield pairing, a new striker, a pair of wingers and a creative midfielder.

Two centre backs and a goalkeeper are 'nice to have' but we should get them if there is any money left.

Truth be told, our season and probably Gio's stay has been ravaged by injuries to 6 to 10 players who would have otherwise been starters. I doubt we are able or willing to add that many more people right now, given that we already have so many people on our books (whether insurance pays their bills or not). As per usual, they will all be fit on a certain date and people will ask why all that "dead wood" is being carried along, whether these are good enough etc..

Big problem remains: the likes of Hagi, Souttar, Helander, Ridvan, Lawrence, and now Colak and Roofe too, won't be thrown in without proper preparation. Which once again means that others have to bear the burden* and thus are likely to suffer in quality of play. Then again, given what we see week in week out - hardly inspiring, why don't we blood a few able youngsters? Patterson easily stepped into Tav's shoes when the latter got injured. While I had my reservations about Devine, he did rather well. Yesterday, we begged for some creativity and willingness to shoot, had Wright and Lowry on the bench, but again kept it at 2 subs.

Have we come down to that dire scenario again, that points and wins at all costs must be achieved? That has worked oh so well ever since SG was hired. One goal advantage and we start to defend that against the dross out there? I can see why this is coming from DMs and CMs like SG and Gio, but this can hardly be our ambition. In the here and now, MB will have to work with what he's got. I do reckon that some players will draw bids from English teams come the end of the window. Given our exploits last season in Europe, I had assumed that Kamara, Kent and Tavernier would be high on someone's transfer list. Maybe there's a reason that no-one showed up. Then again, Southampton is rock bottom in the EPL and may dip into the Scottish market again ... 😱

*Somehow, back in the day, I remember players in the 80s and 90s hardly ever suffer so many injuries, unless someone like Simpson stepped in.

I go with a comment of a FFer on this:

Some transfers work like this, some don't. We had a few bids rejected for Čolak in the summer, but we never heard any news on negotiations for the other signings we made via a transfer fee.

We've had many a team offer us lowball fees for our players over the years as well. Everton were initially offering £4m for Patterson, for example. We wanted £20m for Morelos, Lille offered £16m. Leeds offer for Kent was under £10m, West Brom once bid £2.5m for Tav. Football is full of this, we just don't hear about every single negotiation.

Bayern Munich have been trying to sign Yann Sommer since Neuer got injured, have reportedly made five bids, and have only had one accepted now. That's been since the end of the World Cup. Even the very well run clubs will try to maximise value where they can.

We're a really mixed bag when it comes to transfers, but I'd suggest just about every club is.