Message From Gio

58 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Very much so. As you see above, quite a few posters go into board-room problems et al, when the most obvious and the most grievous thing clearly were injuries to a host of players, especially our central defenders. IMHO, this is what Gio refers to ahead of anything else.

We've not seen Hagi this season, neither Helander. Souttar has been missing since 1st of August, Lawrence since 29th August, Goldson since 12th October, Roofe has played 26 mins this season, Morelos being a bit-part player too, mainly due to lack of fitness and form. Jack missed 12 games and didn't average more minutes than Morelos on the park.

If fit, Hagi, Helander, Lawrence and Roofe would start every game for me, maybe even Jack.

There's no doubt we've been unlucky with injuries. Especially given how absolutely bullet-proof Goldson has been up to now.

But... playing devil's advocate... I thought we should have cut our losses/moved-on/neogotiated an exit for Roofe, Jack & Helander during the close season. We just can't have three first XI starters who have continual issues.

I thought Souttar was worth a punt - but by signing him and keeping Helander we've effectively doubled our risk exposure in that position.

If you look on those three first team wages, plus the contracts given to McGregor and Davis, that's a big chunk of money from our budget which could have gone towards other signings.

I dont really follow this 'if injured player x was available they would have played' line of thinking. If Gavi, Pedri and Busquets were available for us they would have played too. They werent. 

Probably a higher chance of Gavi and Pedri playing for us than Soutter, Helander and Roofe. Waste of resources at the moment sadly.