Lyon 0 : 3 Rangers - Player Ratings and MoM Poll

Hutton was superb for me and as has been said still gets stick/helpful criticism? He had a part to play in the first 2 goals so surely that more than makes up for the mistakes he did make that came to nothing?

That's just your opinion thought mate. People who thought he was average will obviously have found something to criticize about his performance.

I thought Hutton played very well.

One instance of ball watching near the end of the game and once instance where he pulled out of a challenge in the first half (after just being warned by the ref) but other than that he was completely solid.

Add the fact he helped create another 2 goals then I don't think we can ask much more.

:)

Ian i am not criticising Hutton in general as i think he is a tremendous talent and hopefully he develops into the best RB since sandy Jardine. I just really don't think he was that great tonight. Lyon players got behind him in at least 3 occasions which could have cost us dearly on another day. Surely helpful criticism is a must or should we tell him he was great when he was not tonight.

If hrr'd only beaten 3 times in a game playing a side of the quality of Lyon and up against world cup winner (who was probably not far from team of the tournament) Grosso, then I really don't think that's too bad at all. Added to his contribution with the goals and I understand why people were impressed.

I think Huton was given a very torrid first half. He stuck to it, didn't let his head go down and in the end came out on top. Think about the OF game when Ricksen got taken off after 25 minutes. That could have happened to AH last night, but credit to the lad, he played himself back into the game.

Could it have been that Hutton superb offensively but struggled defensively??

He stills needs to touch up a wee bit of his game but he has came on heeps and bounds in the last year and is by far the most improved player in Scotland. We can live with the odd mistake if he keeps plaing like his is.

Hutton was superb for me and as has been said still gets stick/helpful criticism? He had a part to play in the first 2 goals so surely that more than makes up for the mistakes he did make that came to nothing?

Barry has his worst game for a while IMO and nothing much is said about that.

He never hides though and it's good to see we don't have to reply on him all the time!!!

DaMarcus also lost possession near our own goals more than once and that could've put us in trouble also but again nothing said but again for me made up for it with his contribution in the game.

The team as a whole were superb especially when not many of us even thought about getting a draw or a win but to get a 3-0 win and be only the 2nd team ever to win there in the CL is some feat and no one should be picking faults with anyone IMO......

We should be enjoying these results as they don't happen very often but hopefully we can take plenty of confidence from this and show the so called bigger teams less respect and go for it as we have showed tonight we can do it.

Bring on the Barca :)

To be honest Johnny i don't criticise Fergie anymore because it starts an outcry and a lot of ill feeling from the pro-Fergie supporters. Any criticism of him seems to be blasphemy against god. He can play better.

I thought Hutton played very well.

One instance of ball watching near the end of the game and once instance where he pulled out of a challenge in the first half (after just being warned by the ref) but other than that he was completely solid.

Add the fact he helped create another 2 goals then I don't think we can ask much more.

:)

Sorry Frankie but I have to disagree. I haven't watched the 2nd half yet but there were certainly a couple of occasions int he first half where, yet again, he allowed himself to be pulled too narrow and then we found oirselves in danger as a ball was pushed over the top of him to a player (Grosso) who had about 10-15 yards of space.

Hutton still has a tendency to be pulled narrow - last season it was being put down to him having to cover poor CB's - but this season that same excuse can't be made.

Don't get me wrong I am a BIG fan of Hutton - he has a great engine and it amazes me the stamina he has to get up and down the flank for 90 mins but he still does have weaknesses.

Johnny... regarding his contribution for the 1st and 2nd goals more than making up for his mistakes... I disagree. On another day his contribution would have resulted in no goals but his mistakes would have resulted in us being 2 or 3 goals down. Even Alan Hutton would prefer to see the mistakes he makes - because without realising your mistakes you can't eradicate them.

But WOW - what a result !!

I can only remember once instance of a ball being played over Hutton's head to the wide player. It resulted in a vicious cross by Gross (IIRC) and was more great opposition play as opposed to our own mistakes in positioning.

It was a fantastic pass and when we play 5 in midfield it makes sense for our full backs to tuck inside slightly when they have cover from our wingers.

There was one more mistake - shortly after he was warned by the ref - and I felt he pulled out of the challenge because he was afraid of being booked. If he had went 100% for it as he usually does - he may have got the ball.

Other than that, he was solid enough while providing his usual attacking threat.