The Football Operation at Rangers is a Mess

1 hour ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

I am not "laughing at other Bears after we've just had the biggest mauling in our lifetime". I am a Bear myself and was just as gutted as any other to suffer that defeat. I was laughing at the reaction of some who seem surprised that our managment & inury riddled, ageing team cannot compete with a managment/team that includes some of the best coaches & players on the planet. I am neither in the everything's rosy or the just as daft as the doom and gloom brigade, I am merely well aware of where our club are on the road back. Whether or not I can afford the disgraceful price of a ticket is no ones elses business, and does not make me any less of a Bluenose.

I think you might’ve stumbled unwittingly into the “I’m a better Rangers fan than you” territory.

The few people left around me at full-time on Wednesday all seemed as dumbfounded as I was.  

There's being beaten by a better side and then there's players not bothering their f*cking arses (Amsterdam and the last 30 minutes on Wednesday).  

On 14/10/2022 at 04:20, buster. said:

The Football Operation at Rangers is a mess and the current situation is very much a result of it.

You could argue that Youth Development is one positive area and it is just as well, given how the future is shaping up

First Team Mgmt

It just isn't working, is it ?

The manager seems unable to motivate, organise or show leadership. It seems to be the players that choose their games or moments to perform (or not). It wasn't that different at the end of Gerrard's time, so as Goldson tried to articulate post League Cup semi-final defeat (between SG and Gio), there is some kind of faultline in the squad.

Gio enjoyed a honeymoon period up to the end of 2021. Thereafter it has been a rollercoaster.

Squad Mgmt 

Frankly awful.

A willingness to collect older and/or chronically injured (CI) players whose gametime needs to be managed.

Morelos, playing him whilst injured = worse injury, out for months. Back up to Morelos, was a CI player (Roofe) who couldn't play two games a week for very long. Further back-up (Itten)wasn't in UEFA sqaud because of lack of home(grown) based players. Result was Roofe got injured, we pushed him out of necessity, haven't seen him since (apart from 2 minutes at EL Final).

The centre half debacle.

Souttar signing on top of Helander status.

@craig ITK(?) tells us Souttar signed to replace outgoing (at the time pre extension) Goldson.

Was the plan to have a Souttar/Helander partnership ? WTAF

We let Balogun go (another one who neede managed)

We saw the problem late and bring Davies in.....that goes wrong early doors for either one thing or another (?)

The goalkeeping situation

It wasn't joined up thinking and has us between a rock and a hard place.

It looks reactionary. McGregor is going, no he isn't.

Looking less than good, lets give McCrorie an extension.

The Midfield

High average age, CI players and a predictable energy shortfall.

Recruitment

Mixed bag and in part, reactionary. To be fair, that often happens.

But the short term balance is poor with Colak the notable exception.

I would highlight the fact that when the balance is poor for several consectutive windows and it has been, then problems will follow.

Medical

There just seems to be too many unfortunate things going on for it to be coincdental.

@forlanssister has already suggested that the medical department may not be all that they should be.

That is a lot of problems to solve and we'll see shortly how the accounts are looking.

Talking accountability, somebody (persons), needs to be held to account for the above.

This was just my assumption mate, no inside info at all.

5 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

souttar was a no brainer. Good, free and homegrown. 

And at a good age, with possible re-sale value.  His injury history was, IMHO, a risk worth taking.  

I still felt that Souttar was brought in predominantly because the club thought Goldson wouldnt sign a new deal.

2 minutes ago, craig said:

And at a good age, with possible re-sale value.  His injury history was, IMHO, a risk worth taking.  

I still felt that Souttar was brought in predominantly because the club thought Goldson wouldnt sign a new deal.

all good reasons also. 

I think we would have signed him either way. 

Injurys are a risk but worth it. 

Edited by the gunslinger

1 hour ago, craig said:

Not when you already have an injury prone central defender.

Had this conversation with you after he signed.

I'm not the type to say I told you so, let's leave it there.