[FT] Rangers 0 - 3 Napoli

21 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Can I just stick up a wee bit for Tannochsidebear here and say when UEFA/authorities suggested banning away fans at both fixtures, I'd definitely wager that our board did absolutely nothing to change this and try to get our fans, most of whom will have already booked flights and accommodation, into the match in Naples.  

They tend not to stick up for the average punter.  

Thats the whole point, although of course that is completely overlooked by those commenting above and defending the club's position. I haven't heard of ANY other UK club being affected in this way with a reciprocal banning of supporters from travelling.  

I really don't know what people expect the Club to do.

It appears to me that:

Poileas Alba has said you can't play on Tuesday, but you can play Wednesday. However, if you elect to stage the match on Wednesday, we cannot accommodate/police any away support.

UEFA has said that the match may be moved, but if there are no Napoli fans allowed at Ibrox, then, in the interests of fairness, or, dare I say it, 'sporting integrity', no away fans will be permitted to attend the reverse fixture in Naples. 

And them's the rules.

The Club, I suppose, could complain, lobby, or even do a Stugeon, stamp its feet in irritation, and denounce a scapegoat,  but none of these options seem like to move Poileas Alba, or UEFA. 

Perhaps the Club should have tried to have the fixture switched to a later date, leaving the game in Naples unmoved, but that would need the agreement of UEFA, Napoli, and broadcasters, to do so, and consensus on an alternative date, in a crowded calendar, made worse by the ridiculously timed World Cup. 

Would that help any travelling Napoli fans, booked for Glasgow this midweek?

28 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

The Club, I suppose, could complain, lobby, or even do a Stugeon, stamp its feet in irritation

Wouldn't hurt to try.  

Seems there are similarities on and off the pitch: We can't compete with CL teams, so why bother trying?  We can't successfully lobby UEFA, so why bother trying?  

Plenty of Rangers supporters are out of pocket.  A few of them will go to Naples anyway and chance it in the home end.  

Edited by Gonzo79

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Wouldn't hurt to try.  

Seems there are similarities on and off the pitch: We can't compete with CL teams, so why bother trying?  We can't successfully lobby UEFA, so why bother trying?  

Plenty of Rangers supporters are out of pocket.  A few of them will go to Naples anyway and chance it in the home end.  

We don't know what happened behind the scenes, and perhaps we shouldn't speculate.

Travel insurance. Surely organised trips will be covered for cancellation by force majeure, Act of God, or UEFA caprice. 

Independents? Surely no one is travelling without some kind of cover for accidents, medical emergencies, theft (Naples, FFS!), and the rest?

7 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

We don't know what happened behind the scenes, and perhaps we shouldn't speculate.

Travel insurance. Surely organised trips will be covered for cancellation by force majeure, Act of God, or UEFA caprice. 

Independents? Surely no one is travelling without some kind of cover for accidents, medical emergencies, theft (Naples, FFS!), and the rest?

Steady on, if you take away speculation then a lot of people are going to be struggling for content. You might as well ask us to stop whining and complaining for no good reason. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

ask us to stop whining and complaining for no good reason. 

As if, mon ami, as if!!!

I don't suppose many have thought that if Scotland was an Independent Republic, then Club and Country would be able to bring UEFA to heel, and quickly.  I am not quite sure how,  but it stands to reason.