12 hours ago, CammyF said:

An alternative view on how the season had panned out thus far.

- We have qualified for the Champions League group stages for the first time since 2007. 

- We are 2 points of the top of the league after 10 games - won 8, lost 1 (a hammering) and 1 x draw which should have been a win but for some very questionable refereeing.

- we've won 4 league games in a row for the first time in 2022.

- We continue to suffer from horrendous injuries. Hagi, Helander, Roofe, Soutar, Goldson, Jack, Lowry, Lawrence (that's 8 potential starters) all still out and we've had Alfie returning from injury. 

Whilst I wouldn't be against Gio being replaced (but only with someone who would be seen as an "upgrade", the above are good / sound reasons for him NOT being removed from his position at this time. 

If we win all our domestic games between now and the WC break we'll be in a great position. 

If we don't, the calls for Gio to be replaced will intensify and may become too loud for the board to ignore......

It is all about timing.

Regardless of the past, when the red flags wave, you shouldn't ignore them.

ie. look very carefully at situation, projections of where this is going and consider options.

Accross the City when they imploded from the inside, Lawwell said that they kept Lennon because of loyalty and past success. It was a mistake that played into our hands. Regardless of the past, he was taking them no-where.

Five years ago in October 2017, Pedro left the building and we were left in semi limbo until the following summer. Graeme Murty came in as caretaker and was replaced before the end of the season.

Going back further to the end of 2005, Eck was struggling badly and at the sametime qualified us for the KO stage of the CL !! Sir Duped announced his support for him in December, Boyd was signed and Lovenkrands started a goalscoring run that improved things until the faultlines were exposed in a 0-3 tanking from Hibs in the Scottish Cup. The support were unhappy and Sir Duped told them Eck would be gone at the end of the season.

Two very different replacements Steven Gerrard and Paul Le Guen.

One with multiple League winning experience and the other a rookie manager.

Edited by buster.

11 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Can’t help thinking GvB is the symptom rather than the cause. I do wonder about our DoF and whether he is signing players without fully consulting the manager

Have you read up about a DoF model, yet?

25 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don't know what this adds up to but it's at least mildly interesting.....

Yeah it does make me think how much the two heavy defeats to Celtic and the meek performance at Ibrox v them have put him in a position where he has perhaps been harshly judged. The football isn't great at times but I've seen the same thing under McLeish and Smith especially which resulted in silverware. I also don't think he has been backed in the transfer market like he could have been with funds being directed elsewhere. Then there is injuries which seem to be as bad as I can remember for a long time. I'll admit I was deflated after we beat PSV and never brought in a player or two before the window closed. Its possible the manager and players felt the same and that's had an impact.

I'm not ready for the scorched earth approach of getting rid of him right now and getting someone else in. I will be honest and admit I'm not confident we will win the league as things stand now. Even if we win on Saturday and they lose with us going top. If we get reinforcements in the door in January and players back fit that can change. I think he deserves the chance.