[FT] Rangers 3 (Ure 9'; Arfield 24', 85') - 1 QotS

Any cup game, the most important thing is to ensure you are in the hat for the next round draw.

I thought the lad Connelly scored an exquisite goal. Shagger did not even bother to follow the flight of the ball.

I like the look of Devine?

39 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Any cup game, the most important thing is to ensure you are in the hat for the next round draw.

I thought the lad Connelly scored an exquisite goal. Shagger did not even bother to follow the flight of the ball.

Me too.  Boy has a future.  Charlie Mccann  must knocking on the door .  He impresses with every game I see him in.

8 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Aye, so far the hat contains....

Rangers

Partick Thistle

Dundee

Aberdeen

Livingston or Dundee Utd

Hearts or Killie

Ross County or Celtic

Motherwell or Inverness

The preverbial home draw please,.... against Ross County pretty please with cream on top

--------------

From my starting XI, McCann was the player that missed out. 

Real shame, we know what Davis can do. McCann should have got at least 45 minutes.

King is very good and I am happy for him to be considered as a first team player and get increasing exposure at that level. He is the type of player, at the type of age that could perform well for several years and then bring in a big fee if his contract is managed well.

Devine as back up to Tav, no problem. No need for more backups at RB #pathway

Ure is raw but is only 18 and has scored his first goal in the first team.

I thought Matondo looked promising against West Ham but he's not really stated his claim for the right side of attack since then.  

Bit worrying.

Edited by Gonzo79

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

I thought Matondo looked promising against West Ham but he's not really stated his claim for the right side of attack since then.  

Bit worrying.

To a degree, you gets what you pays for, eg. Sakala.

Apparent bargains are more often than not, cut price for a reason.

Selecting / developing the hidden gems is the difficult part.

Matondo might yet come good.

No choice now but to try and coach/motivate him into a better, more effective player.

A curious Rangers' selection, and a curious match, both of which were less than the sum of their parts. Still the bounce team was not bounced, and we move on.

It seems to have been a mantra, it seems for some years, that coaches at all levels play 'in the same way' as the First XI, with aspiring youngsters learning tactics, shape, formation, pitch geography (!?), and the like, similar to, or indeed the same as, those drilled into the senior men. This, it was said, would enable seamless transition for those younger players good, or lucky, enough to make it to the first team squad.

Whither that, now? Has it been binned? Was it just a conceit of the previous regime? Last night, the team and set up flummoxed me, and may have flummoxed the guys on the pitch, too.

Is it a Dutch 'thing', and  all to do with (coaching) flexibility? 

I don't think that anyone may take anything from last night as any kind of pointer for the weekend, save perhaps a notion of who will not play.

I suppose that some players got game time, which may be important, given the testing run of fixtures which looms, imminently. It was clear, however, that players such as Sakala and Matondo were ring rusty, and didn't appear able to shake it off. 

Arfield was  a stick-on for MotM. 

49 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Bit worrying.

Speaking of comparisons, what is Diallo doing these days?