Champions League Draw | Ajax, Liverpool, Napoli, RANGERS

4 hours ago, DMAA said:

I think that’s likely. PSV were being tipped for the title by some, maybe wrongly, but Ajax only just beat them to the title by 2 points last season, and it remains to be seen whether they have effectively replaced the players they sold. 

Remembering that PSV also just recently beat Ajax in the Dutch Super Cup.....  They will be beatable with one of our recently often magical performances

21 minutes ago, craig said:

Remembering that PSV also just recently beat Ajax in the Dutch Super Cup.....  They will be beatable with one of our recently often magical performances

History tends to weigh heavier than recent form guides.

Our record at PSV is excellent. Prior to Wednesday, 2 wins and a draw. Form suggests it would be difficult, we win again.

Ajax, it isn't so good although we have tended to be paired with them when they have been flying.

70's after they won 3 EC's

90's after another EC

Edited by buster.

10 minutes ago, buster. said:

History tends to weigh heavier than recent form guides.

Our record at PSV is excellent. Prior to Wednesday, 2 wins and a draw. Form suggests it would be difficult, we win again.

Ajax, it isn't so good although we have tended to be paired with them when they have been flying.

70's after they won 3 EC's

90's after another EC

Must be me, but that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Recent form are the teams you play against now, not 50 years ago.  The comparison between PSV of Wednesday night and PSV beating Ajax 3 weeks ago is far more relevant and pertinent than comparing our poor results against Ajax 30-50 years ago.

You will need to do quite the amount of explaining on how you come to that conclusion.

6 minutes ago, craig said:

Recent form are the teams you play against now, not 50 years ago.  The comparison between PSV of Wednesday night and PSV beating Ajax 3 weeks ago is far more relevant and pertinent than comparing our poor results against Ajax 30-50 years ago.

You will need to do quite the amount of explaining on how you come to that conclusion.

I get the logic but historic trends often (not always) end up continuing in a similar vein.

We nearly always do well against Danish sides but never against Swedish, eg. Malmo.

We do wonderfully against the Portuguese but can't lay a glove on their Iberian neighbours, the Spanish. 

Although against Villarreal, you can count on a draw (4/4).

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

I get the logic but historic trends often (not always) end up continuing in a similar vein.

We nearly always do well against Danish sides but never against Swedish, eg. Malmo.

We do wonderfully against the Portuguese but can't lay a glove on their Iberian neighbours, the Spanish. 

Although against Villarreal, you can count on a draw (4/4).

I know where you are coming from with this. There are some very odd historical trends that for some reason seem to be followed. Footballing fate if you like.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Makes no sense but it is statistically true.