Mourinho leaves Chelsea

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has sensationally left Stamford Bridge, according to BBC Radio 5live football correspondent Jonathan Legard.

The news comes just 24 hours after the disappointing Champions League draw against Rosenborg.

Legard understands that Mourinho has texted senior players, including skipper John Terry, with the news of his departure from Stamford Bridge.

There has been no official word so far from the Premier League club.

Report: BBC football correspondent Jonathan Legard

Mourinho joined Chelsea in the summer of 2004 and led them to the Premiership title in each of his first two seasons in charge.

Last season they finished runners-up to Manchester United but won both the FA Cup and Carling Cup, a trophy they had also collected in 2005.

His achievements also saw him voted as Premiership manager of the year in 2005 and 2006.

MOURINHO'S CHELSEA RECORD

2 June, 2004 - Appointed manager

27 February, 2005 - Wins Carling Cup 3-2 v Liverpool

30 April, 2005 - Beat Bolton 2-0 to win Premiership title

4 May, 2005 - Signs new five-year contract

29 April, 2006 - Beat Man Utd 3-0 to win Premiership again

27 February, 2007 - Beat Arsenal 2-1 to win Carling Cup

19 May, 2007 - Win FA Cup by beating Man Utd 1-0 at Wembley

19 September, 2007 - Leaves Stamford Bridge

However the Champions League trophy eluded the club and this season's campaign started with Tuesday's shock 1-1 result against the Norwegians in front of a crowd of just 24,973.

It was their third successive game without a win following a 2-0 defeat at Aston Villa and a goalless draw with Blackburn in the Premier League.

Those results have left Chelsea fifth in the table - two points behind leaders Arsenal and with a visit to Manchester United to come on Sunday.

He did have one unique record during his reign in never losing a home league game at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho signed a five-year contract in 2005 and quashed speculation in January that he would leave Stamford Bridge in the summer by saying he was happy to see out his deal if he received "real support" from the club.

Shocking but not shocking at the same time. You got the sense he wasnt happy with a number of things. But I hope its purely off the park things thats done this. Id hate to see him walking aay coz his team are playing poor - Wenger and Sir Alex have never ran away.

But he doesnt get on with Roman, Kenyon or Frank Arnsen (sp) plus the new boy and id say thats the reasons.

It will be very interesting to hear why he left plus see where he goes and all what happens to Chelsea next - they have Man U on Sunday.

Sporting Life are also running with this story too. Apparently he will be at training tomorrow to say goodbye to the first team squad.

Sky Sports are saying that this has been CONFIRMED by Chelsea.

The official Chelsea website also has confirmed it.

I think something happened behind the scenes as I cant see Jose being the type who would shy from the challenge this early. He could just be unhappy at background interferring and the english game in general after there goal was chopped off last weekend - wrongly so.

As i said it will be very interesting to see what happens.

Id say Gus Hiddenk must be a banker favourite for the job plus the Sevilla coach is in with a shout.

Outsiders? - Big Phil Scholari / Klinssman / Wenger (Im sure they would be after him and offer him a silly amount of cash but he wont break his new contract at Arsenal)

I was listening to the radio this morning, but when the news came on I thought it was a practical joke!

The relationship with Abramovich has always been strained, and I guess the 1-1 with Rosenberg was the final straw.

Reports this morning are suggesting that Chelsea's Director Of Football, Avram Grant will take the reigns.

Guest SerbianLoyal

Good luck to the "special one". He is witout any doubt the best football coach on the planet for me... abramovich will soon regret when he finds out that Chelsea can't stand against other opponent for the titles without Jose. Several players could also follow their "chief"... This is the beginning of Chelsea "slow down" and I hope that won't last more than next two seasons...

Football became place where corrupted people "wash" their money. The authorities only care for the amount of money and not for their source... abramovich, romanov, glazer and others should be forced to leave the game for good... As for the common sense of Russian, Jose explained that well once: "If he helped me out in training we would be bottom of the league and if I had to work in his world of big business, we would be bankrupt."

I can see Chelsea going down the Hearts road now with chopping and changin managers.

The boy Grant wont last until March and I cant see the players being up for it as much now. Although a rumour in a paper has it Jose and Terry had a bust up the other day.

He got rid of a few wrong players and replaced them with worse players IMO. I dont rate Mikel, Kalou, Sidwell as much as the team they had with Makelele, Essien, Lampard in the midfield then Robben J Cole and Drogba upfront.