Ceri Bowley to join Rangers from City Group as first-team coach

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I've mentioned Huddersfield this season, who have a superb set-piece coach, because they've scored 20 goals (or something like that) from corners. 

We really need to treat corners as an opportunity to score rather than a means to give the ball back to the opposition.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

I’ve been pontificating quite happily about this but is there a set piece coach at Ibrox? 

That’s an impressive number. What sort of goals? Intricate decoys and mesmerising reverse passing from the kick or traditional centre half arriving in the box at speed and powering in a header Gough/Jackson style?

It seems to be about movement.

A wee taster:

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

This Watford guy sounds like he's got his head up his own arse... :ninja: 

To be fair I don't know much. I just know I like the way he has them playing. 

If he's using passes on their own to suggest they should be winning, that's silly. If it's passes that lead to a much higher xG than the opponent, then that's fine. We know more than most, as Rangers fans, that we can dominate every aspect of a game for 89 minutes, only to lose to an opponent's single chance. Stats will suggest we should have won the game. This is true. 

Nah, he just knows his stuff and has been around the game a long time.. Took a shitshow in the Watford Academy and got them to the Youth Cup semi final and also got them multiple six figures transfers for teenage kids.

Playing nice means shit if you aren't doing anything with it.  The Tims love to talk about their passing stats, I mean they eulogise about Scott Brown having the best passing success rate in CL (not hard when your passes are 5 yards sideways or backwards), and Swansea may be playing nice football, but they arent getting results from that.

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I've argued for that in that past. 

Klopp added such a coach. 

This is nonsense man.  A throw-in coach is absolutely OTT.  Throw ins arent rocket science - the important thing with throw-ins is to have movement and rotations, dont need a throw-in coach for that.  That said, my kid played a league decider last night and his left back had THREE consecutive foul throws.... apparently my kids language was colourful, lol

4 hours ago, buster. said:

I get that this is the theory.

When a manager leaves it is often because something isn't working. What if we find that it is the system that isn't doing what we hoped it would.

Do we continue to force fit ?

Do we always find top coaches, happy to be coached by someone they may or may not respect?

It is a valid point.  We went from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 and we also caw folks like Conte bring a 3-5-2 back into fashion.

3 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Goal kicks, free kicks, corners and penalties. Not a lot and all within the province of the head coach, surely.

Far more important than a throw-in coach.

Set pieces provide both offensive and defensive goals in abundance.  Set piece coaches are a very important aspect to the game these days, IMHO.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Nah, he just knows his stuff and has been around the game a long time.. Took a shitshow in the Watford Academy and got them to the Youth Cup semi final and also got them multiple six figures transfers for teenage kids.

Playing nice means shit if you aren't doing anything with it.  The Tims love to talk about their passing stats, I mean they eulogise about Scott Brown having the best passing success rate in CL (not hard when your passes are 5 yards sideways or backwards), and Swansea may be playing nice football, but they arent getting results from that.

Sounds like you've got your head up his arse too... :roflmao:

Kidding.

If he's experienced, fair enough. I can't argue with that. 

Certainly, you have to get results at the end of the day.