Pre-Season 2022/23 Megathread | [FT] Rangers 1 (Colak 24') - 2 Tottenham

Watched the second half, didn`t see the first two goals though (well, they are in the highlights above). That kickabout in defence for the last 15-20 mins with West Ham pressing gave me shivers. Why is it so hard to kick the ball up the park, even rugby-style into touch in their half, but spare us that harakiri-defending? 

As pointed out above, depending on the opposition at hand, we should change formations. While it is useful to play 4-3-3 against better opposition and suss them out, it shouldn`t be the way ahead in Scotland. Especially with 3 DMs and hardly any sort of creativity. We saw that these last two games, with our wing-attackers being mopped up and Colak rather isolated. Obviously, we could replace Wright with Matondo, but that needs to be tested too. 

45 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

While it is useful to play 4-3-3 against better opposition and suss them out, it shouldn`t be the way ahead in Scotland. Especially with 3 DMs and hardly any sort of creativity. We saw that these last two games, with our wing-attackers being mopped up and Colak rather isolated. Obviously, we could replace Wright with Matondo, but that needs to be tested too. 

Worth noting that neither Tillman or Lowry were available last night though, who are possibly our main options for an attack minded midfielder. Lawrence could potentially do it too but I can see why GVB wanted to get minutes in the legs of Kamara, Jack and Lundstram. I wouldn’t read too much into it in terms of how we will play against the likes of St Mirren and Ross County.

Also, I'm not always a big fan of the front 3 either when we don't have good goal scorers in that 3 (and we often don't), but with Motondo and Lawrence on board we may see more goals from the front 3 and it may be more effective. 

Edited by DMAA

58 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Watched the second half, didn`t see the first two goals though (well, they are in the highlights above). That kickabout in defence for the last 15-20 mins with West Ham pressing gave me shivers. Why is it so hard to kick the ball up the park, even rugby-style into touch in their half, but spare us that harakiri-defending? 

I know what you mean and where you are coming from but if McLaughlin is number on then we will have to get used to more of the playing out from the back. Also if we then break like we did for the second goal then it could benefit us

A real pity we've lost the big man's drive & enthusiasm but this was arguably the right time to sell & the deal seems an excellent one. Having to replace Bassey with two players Davies and (probably) Yilmaz shows why Ajax were happy to pay best part of €30m. Good luck Calvin!

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Not pre-season related, but: O Captain! My Captain!

Seven years! Tav has made a huge contribution to the re-emergence of our club and has to be the best signing in many a year.