The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

You're just adding up what you want, going back years, to arrive a some big number, and thinking, 'oh - yes, we should be spending close to that in this widow'. I don't think that's how businesses run. 

That was last season. 

All I will say is that I am VERY glad that none of us from Gersnet are managing and running the business that is Rangers.  The Tims would be absolutely spot on..... admin 1690 would definitely be right around the corner

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I think Bacuna was a profitable trade. 

I'm convinced it was the plan all along. We had the opportunity to get him for nothing, then sell him on. 

He was too good a player not to use, IMO.

He was last season's Boumsong

3 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

I would certainly be expecting 1 or 2. Per haps a buy and a loan or free (barkley). 

That would get us to a decent spending level. 

If we bring another 2 in, we also need to see a couple going out, even if only on loan - our squad is bloated

2 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

Looked a decent player but maybe didn't convert chances he should have. Certainly caused problems. 

I thought he was quality.  That said, I would have loved to have got Xavi Simons - did more in 20 minutes than Veerman did in 2 games against us.  That boy will go places for sure !

2 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Wee reminder of the squad how it stands ... by position.

TM Rangers Squad by Position

For I see a lot of people asking for a right winger when we actually have signed Matondo for exactly that slot.

You can click on any player, then open the STATS pull-down and click on ALL SEASONS. You will get a screen that lists the positions (amongst many other things) where that player has played in throughout his career. That in turn makes TM to put him primarily in one slot, while also offering alternative slots.

E.g. Matondo played most of last season as a right winger and was pretty decent. It overtook his use as a left winger, but he can play across the attack line, which is one reason we signed him. While Wright was mostly used as a left winger by Aberdeen, due to the irreplacable Kent, and the loss of Hagi, we shoe-horned him into the right winger role, hence he is now listed as right winger.
There are also some misconceptions about Lawrence, whom we utilized in an leftish AM role, but who played most of his games for Derby as a left winger (perhaps not in recent memory). And he is rather versatile too, as we have seen.

We do have a number of people capable of playing across the front line and, e.g. you see in his goal return that Colak is an out and out central striker. He hardly ventures to the wings and is there where he has to be. Would love to see him paired with Morelos up top.

I just want to say that, much to @Billchagrin, Thank you der Berliner for always posting the transfer rumours thread, maintaining it and managing it, and your also posting current squad for us.  Very much appreciated :thup:

I will refrain from my thoughts on transfermarket though, lol 

7 minutes ago, craig said:

I thought he was quality.  That said, I would have loved to have got Xavi Simons - did more in 20 minutes than Veerman did in 2 games against us.  That bot will go places for sure !

I though he should have scored 1 or 2 v us but failed to do so. 

Simons i think we can be grateful he didn't play much v us. 

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

for god sake just bring Candeias back and stop failing to replace him.

A massive shame that he left.  Definitely a faux pas from Gerrard & Co.  We have never properly replaced him and he was the perfect foil for Tav.

3 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

I though he should have scored 1 or 2 v us but failed to do so. 

Simons i think we can be grateful he didn't play much v us. 

Completely agree Re Simons.  Boy was very good in his cameo and very dangerous.  Having seen him now I am very glad he didnt get more game time.

I have followed him for about a decade, since he was at La Masia - he used to come to Bermuda every summer and participate in a camp here for one of the local coaches who got to know him and his Dad - so I was always interested in his progress.  Boy will be a star

47 minutes ago, craig said:

We've already spent money - what is it with our fans and seeing us get to the CL and then conveniently ignore that we have already spent 3 mill on Matondo, 3 mill on Davies and 4-5 mill on Ridvan ???

Are we just now ignoring the outlay already made on players this pre-season ?

Probably the same thing with our fans ignoring that we have sold our better players and brought in decent money with that. Our income far outweighs our outlay at this point unless I'm imagining things. But hey maybe we don't need to spend just now. Maybe our squad is in a strong position. Maybe I'm being overly critical that we haven't spent a penny on our midfield for years except that 50k for Glen Kamara. Maybe I'm imagining a right wing problem that has persisted for years. 

I think our manager has earned some backing in the transfer market. As much as i don't want to talk about other clubs, our biggest rivals have backed thier manager. Maybe we cant complain if we cant compete. After all if the moneys not there its not there.

Besiktas reported on thier official site we paid 4 million euros on Ridvan. https://bjk.com.tr/tr/haber/84136/ridvan-yilmaz-rangers-fcye-transfer-oldu.html

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

31 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Probably the same thing with our fans ignoring that we have sold our better players and brought in decent money with that. Our income far outweighs our outlay at this point unless I'm imagining things. But hey maybe we don't need to spend just now. Maybe our squad is in a strong position. Maybe I'm being overly critical that we haven't spent a penny on our midfield for years except that 50k for Glen Kamara. Maybe I'm imagining a right wing problem that has persisted for years. 

I think our manager has earned some backing in the transfer market. As much as i don't want to talk about other clubs, our biggest rivals have backed thier manager. Maybe we cant complain if we cant compete. After all if the moneys not there its not there.

Besiktas reported on thier official site we paid 4 million euros on Ridvan. https://bjk.com.tr/tr/haber/84136/ridvan-yilmaz-rangers-fcye-transfer-oldu.html

I dont see ANYONE ignoring how much we have brought in.  Our better players we have sold are Aribo and Bassey.  Aribo has, IMHO, been replaced, with Tillman.  Indeed, one could argue that Tillman has had more of an effect already this season thab would have been expected from Aribo (I am NOT downplaying Aribo, big man was quality when he was on his game - but Tillman is a genuine replacement).  And Bassey... we have spent over 3 million replacing him with Davies.  The only other significant departure, though not one of our better players, is Itten - and he has definitely been replaced by a more prolific striker in Colak.

So, yes, we sold our "better" players - but have we actually been weakened by their leaving ?  At this point Tillman is showing he is more than an adequate replacement for Aribo (remembering he is only a handful of games in), and Davies obviously hasnt, as yet - but Sands has done a commendable job in their which doesnt really leave us short - and once Davies is fit and up to speed, should be more than an adequate replacement for Bassey.  Lest we forget that many wanted Bassey to replace Borna rather than play CB - and if we were to consider Bassey a LB then we have also replaced him with Ridvan.

Income far outweighing outlay is no reason to spend.  Spend when you think you NEED to spend, not just because you have the funds to do so.  I think our squad is in a strong position.  That said, I think we could do with another striker and a creative mid - and if being greedy a RW.  But I think our squad is strong.  IMHO, we are stronger in the front positions given the additions of Colak, Tillman, Lawrence (who is a quality player), and that isnt including Matondo.

Why do we need to spend money on our midfield when we have Lundstram and Kamara there ?  We should only need 2 holding mids domestically (and away to the Tims) so why do we need more ?  We also have Davis there - wee man is hardly ever injured.  And Jack when not injured.  RW, I would agree, but we have already spent decent money on a RW this pre-season - so now we want another and we will then have THREE RW in Matondo, Wright and AN Other ?

How do you know that the manager hasnt said that he is happy with what he has ?  Are you saying that the club havent backed Gio ?  Are you saying we havent signed Colak, Matondo, Ridvan, Tillman, Lawrence, Davies this summer ?  Surely Glen Kamara is the only example we need to know that you don't have to spend a ton of money to get a signing right ?

Ridvan has, I believe, also got add-ons to the initial 4 million Euros.