[FT] Dundee Utd 1 - 1 Rangers (Aribo 76')

19 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I’ve been a bit worried for a while that we don’t have as many goalscorers in the team as Celtic do. We should have scored for more than 1 yesterday, and they found a goal from a poacher again. 

We have, but we don`t play them. We persist with low-scoring attack-minded midfielders against packed defences and hope some piece of skill or the prowess of the one striker on the day will drag us out. What we see is toil and more toil. While our lethal folk warm the bench. And it is even more frustrating when you know that Roofe, Sakala, Morelos and even Itten can all operate in a 3-attacker line up and have done it before. Even a basic 4-4-2 would be more lethal than what we have now ... and have had since MW.

19 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

We have, but we don`t play them. We persist with low-scoring attack-minded midfielders against packed defences and hope some piece of skill or the prowess of the one striker on the day will drag us out. What we see is toil and more toil. While our lethal folk warm the bench. And it is even more frustrating when you know that Roofe, Sakala, Morelos and even Itten can all operate in a 3-attacker line up and have done it before. Even a basic 4-4-2 would be more lethal than what we have now ... and have had since MW.

I'm not sure that we do though. I had a look at the stats graphs of all their signings on Twitter when they signed so I could get an idea of the type of player they were getting. Abada and Kyogo's graphs showed that they excelled at scoring goals, they had ridiculously high xG for their positions.

The Greek guy very much had the stats graph of a poacher too. None of those players looked great in general on the stats graph, but they did excel at goal-scoring. They have bailed Celtic out time and time again from very similar games to the ones we've had where we haven't found that winner.

Roofe is the only player we have who I would really put in that category. I think Ramsey is a very high xG player for his position too but that's a different position. Sakala has done well generally but I wouldn't put him in that category. 

Edited by DMAA

18 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I'm not sure that we do though. I had a look at the stats graphs of all their signings on Twitter when they signed so I could get an idea of the type of player they were getting. Abada and Kyogo's graphs showed that they excelled at scoring goals, they had ridiculously high xG for their positions.

The Greek guy very much had the stats graph of a poacher too. None of those players looked great in general on the stats graph, but they did excel at goal-scoring. They have bailed Celtic out time and time again from very similar games to the ones we've had where we haven't found that winner.

Roofe is the only player we have who I would really put in that category. I think Ramsey is a very high xG player for his position too but that's a different position. Sakala has done well generally but I wouldn't put him in that category. 

our defence is probably the only department that scores anywhere near enough goals for their positions. 

This is very much an issue for us. 

17 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

our defence is probably the only department that scores anywhere near enough goals for their positions. 

This is very much an issue for us. 

It feels a lot like this time in the 19/20 season at the moment with the same issue causing us trouble. Remember the 1-0 loss to Hamilton?

Roofe, Ramsey and Diallo all add a goal threat to the squad though (whatever you think of them). I do think we will have recurring issues with goal scoring with a front 4 of Kent, Morelos, Aribo and Arfield though and we need to start getting Roofe at least into the team. He played a huge part in the months that won us the league last season with 8 goals in 9 (November and December).

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

It feels a lot like this time in the 19/20 season at the moment with the same issue causing us trouble. Remember the 1-0 loss to Hamilton?

Roofe, Ramsey and Diallo all add a goal threat to the squad though (whatever you think of them). I do think we will have recurring issues with goal scoring with a front 4 of Kent, Morelos, Aribo and Arfield though and we need to start getting Roofe at least into the team. He played a huge part in the months that won us the league last season with 8 goals in 9 (November and December).

Ramsey into the midfield too. 

We continue to lose goals from set pieces. Happened again yesterday.

This year we’ve conceded from a set piece (or as a result of a set piece) at Ross county, Aberdeen, Celtic & again yesterday. 

Much of this year due to the fact we’ve a goalkeeper who’s a great shot stopper but doesn’t command his box. Opposition teams can see this

9 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Much of this year due to the fact we’ve a goalkeeper who’s a great shot stopper but doesn’t command his box. Opposition teams can see this

Yes, this is causing a lot of our defensive issues.  Any opposition manager will see it as an obvious weakness and get high balls sent into our box.