Sebo vs Cousin - why Filip will leave

Its been an interesting few weeks for us watching our new signings find their feet and one in particular has made me think about Sebo's position at the club and its also cemented the opinion that I've had of him.

Firstly, let me say that I'd be delighted if Sebo made it here. He seems like a nice enough bloke, he's worked hard in the summer on his fitness and everyone has been willing him to do well. But watching Cousin since he signed has made me realise that the argument about Sebo not having enough time to prove himself is somewhat flawed.

Cousin started here with a couple of substitute appearances, probably totalling no more than 40 minutes. But if we take the Red Star game as an example, he showcased his own potential in 25 minutes in a way which Sebo has failed to do over a season with us during which he made 33 appearances, albeit only 7 starts.

From when Cousin came on, he showed eagerness to get involved, which is something Sebo also does. However, from there the comparisons end. Cousin showed an awareness of what was going on around him. He showed good vision and played a few passes to other players with precision weighting and pace. He also had a couple of efforts on goal which was more than we'd managed all night up until that point. But in all, he just looked like a real player. Like someone who would bring something to our squad. And since then I think he's gone on to prove that he can be a real success here.

The thing with Sebo was that I was looking for him to do something special during one of his appearances. Just a flash of brilliance which would make us all think that the lad was worth hanging on to and it was only a (short) matter of time until he'd "come good".

But that's just never happened IMO and it is a shame. We all looked for something to take from his performances but never really got it. We started to talk up every little thing he did and it got to absurd levels following the Celtic game last year where he was asked to do a certain job (noise up the opposition) and he did it well. But anyone with half a physical presence could have done that job, it just so happens that last season we were lacking a physical element to our game, something which WS has since addressed. It certainly didn't make me change my mind on what I'd seen so far and I was a bit surprised to see how many fans still cite that performance as an indicator that Sebo can develop in to a good striker for us.

The lad is still young enough that he can improve as a player. But to do that he obviously needs time and games. And I don't think he'll get that here. Regardless of all the other strikers who are now ahead of him for a first team place, no-one knows better than WS that at Ibrox you have to deliver and you don't get much time to prove yourself. Maybe a loan deal is the answer, but unless he sets the goal-scoring charts alight at his new club, he's still going to face the same problem of trying to break in to our first team when he gets back.

The move just hasn't worked out, for whatever reason or reasons. I think its now in the best interests of everyone if we move on and I wish him luck wherever he ends up.

Excellent article mate... Will post on main site with your permission

Note to all:

We're back on NewsNow and all of our recent stories have reached the top 3 with bmck's MediaWatch currently number 1.

We've got plenty of users on this forum capable of contributing to this success and bringing more new members on board. If you'd like anything to be considered, pm me and we'll get it online.

:)

Sebo did impress me in pre-season, but why hasnt he had his chance to see if he can cut it for this season, Every other striker has and give credit to them they are scoring, but if Sebo can come on and bang a goal we will have a fair few good strikers to choose from .

Sebo just needed that bit of luck to set him off, he got it against Chelsea and hasnt featured since

Sebo did impress me in pre-season, but why hasnt he had his chance to see if he can cut it for this season, Every other striker has and give credit to them they are scoring, but if Sebo can come on and bang a goal we will have a fair few good strikers to choose from .

Sebo just needed that bit of luck to set him off, he got it against Chelsea and hasnt featured since

We are now in the competitive stage of the season though Fraser - to give Sebo a chance just in case he comes good doesn't work unless we are already up by a few goals - we aren't yet in the luxurious position of being able to carry players.

Cousin came in and played well as a sub against Red Star, that is why he got his chance to start. Sebo got lucky against Chelsea for a goal, but what else has he really offered ?

Mike, a great article and one which the Sebo worshippers (Gribz.... you about ? :fish: ) should take note of.