Ally Dawson Has Passed Away

I saw Ally's debut in September'75 against Queens Park in a Glasgow Cup tie. We won three zip in a match that had a quite remarkable own goal by Queens defender, McDonald. He managed to head the ball into his own net from outside the penalty box.

I witnessed Ally's final Rangers appearance in May'87, another Glasgow Cup tie. It was the end of the magnificent bastard's first full season, we had won both the League and League Cup. The club had made the Glasgow Cup final and ra Sellik were desperate to take some of the gloss off Souness. The game was held at Sellik Park and Souness promised a young Rangers side, skippered by Ally Dawson. A 25,000 plus crowd attended, Bears outnumbered Yahoos by 1:3. Ra Sellik fielded a strong, almost first team. We held our own and deservedly won 0-1. A nice bit of symmetry occurred, Sellik defender, Baillie scored an own goal.

Ally lead the young lads to the cup presentation and lifted the trophy immediately in front of Glasgow FA President, John McGinn. He led the team out on to the pitch for enthusiastic celebrations with the Rangers end. Ally's smile was as broad as every other Rangers supporter that evening in Parkhead.

Can't remember year but my Mother in law,staunch Rangers and O.O. had tickets for POY at Kelvin Hall and went with her.Ally won the award.

Spoke to him at Coop's memorial night and asked if he remembered the night and he laughed and said to Alex Totten and a couple of others at his table "Aye I remember that night,was presented with a set of golf clubs and I didn't even play that sport.

Nice guy R.I.P. Ally.:uk: