Iraq 1-0 Saudi Arabia

Iraq clinched their first Asian Cup victory with a 1-0 win over Saudi Arabia in Jakarta.

Captain Younes Mahmoud planted in a towering header for the winner after Saudi keeper Yasser Al Mosailem flailed despairingly at a corner.

Al Mosailem had earlier kept his side alive with a fine double save from Younes Mahmoud and Nashat Akram.

Iraq had an escape in stoppage time when Saudi striker Malek Maaz bounced a header on to the roof of the net.

Not a bad feat as Japan and Australia arent bad sides these days and they were at full strength in the tournament.

But im more happy for the country of Iraq more than anything else. They deserve a bit of luck seen as they have the American troops invading there country on false evidence and killing there innocent civillians. I just hope they can celebrate this and no bombing take place like during the semi final victory.

To be fair Re killing of civilians though Gribz.... their own insurgents are killing their fellow countrymen - it isn't JUST the allied troops - and don't forget... you are saying American troops but the UK have troops in there too, along with other allied forces, so it is a bit unfair to accuse ONLY the US.

To be fair Re killing of civilians though Gribz.... their own insurgents are killing their fellow countrymen - it isn't JUST the allied troops - and don't forget... you are saying American troops but the UK have troops in there too, along with other allied forces, so it is a bit unfair to accuse ONLY the US.

I dont want to get a debate going in here as its footy chat but I heard a total new side to this over the weekend - I heard an actual former US soldier describe his experience in Iraq telling a radio show that the US army are taking out anyone they are told and the olny people fighting back are normal innocent civilians who just want them to leave there country alone. (A natural thing - Im sure if a country invaded Scotland the public would fight back)

This Ex-soldier was actually arrested on Friday following his comments and they tried to charge him with leaving the army without proper consent which he proved wrong.

He was telling us the media pertray lies to the West, for instance CNN was filming his bombing exercises they were doing but weeks later they showed it on TV claiming it was real fighting with Iraqis.

I can get the clips if needed. There was much more.

Anyway, well done Iraq on the victory, they actually played quite well over the tournament.