Benni McCarthy happy to recommend Bongani Zungu to Rangers as he is ‘complete midfielder’

Champions League winner Benni McCarthy insists he had no problem recommending Bongani Zungu to Rangers.

The former Porto and Blackburn striker was approached by Gers coach Michael Beale about his fellow South African and gave a glowing report.

McCarthy reckons the loanee, who joined on deadline day from Amiens, will fit in well at Ibrox. And he believes the midfielder will have no trouble with the physical aspect of the Scottish game.

“I know Michael [Beale] very well as we were on the same Uefa coaching courses together, so he phoned me for a chat about Zungu,” McCarthy said. “When they were first interested in him they wanted to do some background checks.

"They had a good idea of what kind of player he was and wanted my opinion on him as well. I told them they’d be getting a real good one if they signed him.

"Not only is Zungu a great player, he is a fighter. I’ve watched him blossom over the last few years and Rangers have got themselves a fantastic footballer.”

Speaking to the Scottish Sun, he added: “He is the complete midfielder, very comfortable on the ball and so strong in the tackle. He can play as a defensive midfielder too because he is so good at cleaning up.

“But he also offers you an attacking threat and he can score goals.”

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18776414.benni-mccarthy-happy-recommend-bongani-zungu-rangers-complete-midfielder/