Coventry and QPR opted not to take a knee

1 hour ago, ChelseaBoy said:

I'm not stuck on booing, despite it being effective. I think turning a back while they are taking a knee would be just as effective.

It might if you can guarantee the cameras will show it. In reality as far as anyone will ever know, it didn't take place. That's how cancel culture works.

Maybe fans could sing Michael Jackson's Black Or White while the players take the knee.  Or do some break dancing.  

Ultimately, supporters voices are drowned out in modern football and now some people even want us to take guidance in societal matters from a bunch of overpaid prima donnas.  Whatever next!?

11 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Maybe fans could sing Michael Jackson's Black Or White while the players take the knee.  Or do some break dancing.  

Ultimately, supporters voices are drowned out in modern football and now some people even want us to take guidance in societal matters from a bunch of overpaid prima donnas.  Whatever next!?

The whole thing is utterly bizarre. Almost as strange as thinking this is how society should form and express its morality. I have to believe there are black people out there who think this is as false and corrupt as I do. It's a matter of intellect and unfettered thinking, not skin colour.

Political commentator, Calvin Robinson (whose grandparents were part of the Windrush generation), had this to say:

"All due respect to him, but I don't agree with John Barnes on this one. Footballers should not be taking a knee to the divisive, toxic, political organisation that is Black Lives Matter. It's completely inappropriate."

28 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I don't think we are, are we? But footballers are part of society too and like it or not, they can have an influence. As an example you only have to look at Marcus Rashford; the PM was shamed into doing a u-turn by his social media campaign, which is more than the useless official opposition could manage to do.

Anyway you slice it, something needs to be done as we saw last night when a big game had to be abandoned due to racist abuse from a fourth official, as far as I can tell. We could end up with countless games being abandoned.

Edited by alexscottislegend

15 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

something needs to be done as we saw last night when a big game had to be abandoned due to racist abuse from a fourth official, as far as I can tell

I admit what happened in Paris was truly horrifying.  Thoughts and prayers to all those affected.  

On 19/09/2020 at 14:13, Bill said:

At last, clubs and players with the self-respect to stop grovelling to this utterly dishonest premise. When will Rangers players have the good sense to join them?

I got as far as this on page one of this thread. As far as Bill is concerned I know the rest of the script.

I'll tell you what an utterly dishonest premise is......It's Bill's take, tone and attitude towards different cases of (alleged) racism.

Repeatedly using the (alleged) racism card for political ends/attempted point scoring is fine by him when it involves what is termed as anti-semitism but as we've seen on countless occasions, when it's allegations, campaigns or general discourse about a different racism / colour..... he passionately argues against such principles. 

It´s a blatant contradiction that should be borne in mind and very much pointed out when someone always has so much to say on race issues.

----------

Regards the thread title..... Players and clubs should be free to do as they see fit.

WRT to gesture/campaign, my own take would be to set goals, change things up to retain attention, focus on results and not a routine.

Generally and IMO, campaigns on racism (and many other things for that matter) don't achieve what they set out to because of overly ambitious parameters/demands relative to timescale. For example, BLM (USA) should have focused on policing until the point where real fundamental change for the better was instigated. They have a solid and well documentated case.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

I'll tell you what an utterly dishonest premise is......It's Bill's take, tone and attitude towards different cases of (alleged) racism

An opinion you are entitled to have though I disagree with it. Bill may think otherwise but he’ll shoot your fox if he just leaves it at that.