Five Gers players in the #SCO21s squad

Great to see us getting more of our players recognised internationally, but the big worry remains that we have none of them in the first team squad. We cant even put in a full quota for our Europa League squad due to the rules on home-based players which we do not meet.

I have said it before and will say it again - the huge squad we have is detrimental to us being able to produce our own players through our very expensive youth setup. Guys like Docherty, Grezda, Polster, Firth, Halliday are taking up spaces that could easily be filled with McCrorie, Middleton, Kelly, Mebude etc, as well as us saving a huge amount on our wage bill to boot. This needs to be addressed in the next couple of windows to allow our youth players the pathway to the first team if they continue to improve.

Good to see our young lads getting recognition but to be perfectly honest if I were young and an excellent player I wouldn't dream of playing for Scotland I would stick to delivering my best for my club .

2 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Great to see us getting more of our players recognised internationally, but the big worry remains that we have none of them in the first team squad. We cant even put in a full quota for our Europa League squad due to the rules on home-based players which we do not meet.

I have said it before and will say it again - the huge squad we have is detrimental to us being able to produce our own players through our very expensive youth setup. Guys like Docherty, Grezda, Polster, Firth, Halliday are taking up spaces that could easily be filled with McCrorie, Middleton, Kelly, Mebude etc, as well as us saving a huge amount on our wage bill to boot. This needs to be addressed in the next couple of windows to allow our youth players the pathway to the first team if they continue to improve.

I understand your point that we need to offload some players who will never be likely to make it into the team now, but I just don't think any of these younger players are anywhere near good enough yet.  If they were good enough, players like Grezda would be easily dislodged, but they're not.  McCrorie has struggled to hold down a spot at Portsmouth so that tells me he's not ready for our first team yet.

I am all for us developing our own but if they're not good enough for us we need to develop them even if it's purely to sell them on.  I don't want us diluting the quality of our squad to accommodate average players just because they're from our academy.  It's perhaps unfair in a way because the required standard has gone up enormously over the past two years in particular, but these young players need to now reach that level or move on.

If they're good enough I'm sure the management team will play them.  In Gerrard we trust.