Steven Gerrard calls for Ibrox crowd to help Rangers skipper James Tavernier through form dip

Steven Gerrard has called for the Ibrox crowd to play their part in helping James Tavernier through his slump in form after another mixed afternoon for the Rangers captain.

Gerrard gave his skipper his full backing ahead of the draw with Porto in midweek and Tavernier was again under the spotlight after the win over Motherwell.

A first half penalty miss ultimately didn’t prove costly for Rangers as goals from Jermain Defoe and Filip Helander saw Gerrard’s side come from behind to see off the Steelmen.

And the Gers boss has urged supporters to stick with the 27-year-old after high-profile mistakes against Young Boys and Hearts in recent weeks.

Gerrard said: “I don’t think you can doubt James’ character. He knows that in the last couple of weeks, he’s in the firing line.

“I’d like the crowd to help him a bit more. Sometimes when it’s tough and you’re not at your best, you need your crowd to be with you rather than against you.

“So there’s a plea for the crowd to stay with him because he will play through it and he can change games, like he did for us today.

“It was an excellent delivery for Filip’s goal and a fantastic header. But James needs his people now - it’s important.

“There were a few groans and moans and it doesn’t help. I understand it. I totally get it. I was just as frustrated as them on the side more than enough today.

“But when you are a player in the firing line and not everything is going for you, you need your people with you. You need your team-mates with you. Especially where we are.

“Yes, we haven’t hit the level today, but we are in a good place in the Europa League, have a semi-final this weekend and are top of the league besides goal difference. We need the fans with us.

“The fans have been absolutely outstanding with me from the first day, so write about that.

“But not every player stays at the top of their game for 60 games. It doesn’t happen. Big players are going to have dips.

“But when you feel them on your back even more, it is very difficult to play through it and find form as quick as you can.

“We need our punters with us. They are always with us in terms of the bigger picture and getting behind the team, of course they are, but groaning when someone over hits a cross or blah, blah, blah. It doesn’t help.”

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17996823.steven-gerrard-calls-ibrox-crowd-help-rangers-skipper-james-tavernier-form-dip/?ref=twtrec

Fair enough Steven but think on this wanting to take EVERY free-kick EVERY corner puts too much pressure on his-self.Having him play his wing back game should suffice in helping him get his confidence back as there are many others who can deliver good free-kicks and corners.

A boss/captain or whatever taking responsibility for everything soon drags himself down.

There’s a suggestion here of one rule for Tav and another for everyone else. Should everyone be allowed to keep their place every week while they under-perform, while the rest of the squad is sent a message they’re neither wanted nor trusted? There’s clearly some sense in keeping faith with your key players but surely there has to be a limit, beyond which it just looks like putting certain players before the interests of the team and the wider squad.

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

Yes, but only by the away fans who thought (wrongly) that he'd dived to win the penalty.

Ah okay.  I thought he was booed when he hit a poor free-kick first half straight at a defender.  Groans are one thing but booing quite another.

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

By all accounts Ross McCrorie has been excellent on loan at Portsmouth at right back. Just saying.

McCrorie has been stop-start down there and hasn't been playing as regularly or as well as we'd like but thankfully he has started played for 90mins in their last two matches.