Loan Review 21/10

33 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Hastie, Robby McCrorie and Kelly doing well.

Very well. Kelly has been said to be the best midfielder in the league by a distance. Though it might have been Ian McCall who said that now that I think of it.

34 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I was expecting more from Rudden and McPake, but they're still very young. 

I'm surprised too, especially by McPake. But I blame the club, Dundee are a shambles at the moment and young players don't often get a chance when clubs are desperate (remind you of anyone?). Ayr would have been perfect for him.

35 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

No mention of Ross McCrorie? Not going well? 

No, not getting a game apparently after being tried at right back. He's a likeable guy with qualities but he is way overrated by our fans, he's not technical enough to play centre mid for Rangers. He did us a turn and deserves praise for that but we just don't need a destroyer in centre mid very often.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Hastie, Robby McCrorie and Kelly doing well.

I was expecting more from Rudden and McPake, but they're still very young. 

No mention of Ross McCrorie? Not going well? 

I think he has been mostly on the bench. There were a few stories from their manager something like he was doing too much and therefore losing position and having to make rash tackles to recover.

Just had a look at a Pompey fans forum and not much on McCrorie (no search function). It would seem the manager doesn't know what to do with McCrorie. He has even tried him as a wing-back. One big consensus is that the manager isn't popular with the fans and they want him out. It looks like he has landed in a bad situation with a poor manager who doesn't fancy him.

Hastie had an amazing start but I notice he has been subbed the last couple of games.   McCrorie at Pompey is a disaster so far as he can't break into a losing side.

Edit: Ross McCrorie played right back tonight and Portsmouth won 1-0.  Got a 7.8 rating on Fotmob, only the keeper got a higher rating.  Hopefully a turning point.

Edited by Briton

I think Rudden was injured and missed much of pre-season training. He's been getting a starting place recently though. McPake has just turned 18 and playing his first ever season of first team football. He'll be getting some fairly rough treatment in that division I suspect so he'll need to learn to adapt. As supporters we love to see a player beat a man, but sometimes keeping possession, holding the ball up or making a short pass is the professional thing to do, McPake will be learning that this season. This is where so many promising young players at Rangers have stumbled, that step up from youth star to first team regular is a huge jump. I fully support sending these lads out to learn their trade and make their mistakes. 

As for McCrorie he needs to figure out what position he plays. He's not currently strong enough for centre half or tactically aware enough for holding midfield. Awareness can be learned and strength developed.