Gers Beat TNS In Friendly

10 hours ago, BEARGER said:

Did Morelos not get a knock at the end of Mansfield game ?

That would be the first time I can remember Alfredo missing minutes because of an injury.

Some going given he's been with us for two seasons.

Not taking any risks would be the right thing to do given we are light on centre forward options with a probable heavy schedule around the corner.

Is Jack injured as well? 

With Arfield's international duty keeping him back from early season games Docherty has a chance to prove he's worth a place. It'll be interesting to see if he can take it. It's funny, but he's one of those players I really want to see succeed. For some reason you get the impression he's a grafter, a player who's trying his best to make it with us. I know that's not always enough, but I hope he does. 

2 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Is Jack injured as well? 

With Arfield's international duty keeping him back from early season games Docherty has a chance to prove he's worth a place. It'll be interesting to see if he can take it. It's funny, but he's one of those players I really want to see succeed. For some reason you get the impression he's a grafter, a player who's trying his best to make it with us. I know that's not always enough, but I hope he does. 

Agreed, I'm keen to see if Docherty has improved his game after his year down at Shrewsbury.

He's a grafter, that we know but a ball winner is only any real use if he doesn't tend to give the ball back to the opposition.

For me, that was his biggest problem.

Gerrard wants players who'll break up opposition play and be able to quickly transform a situation into a counter attack, eg. Aribo.

Yes, I worry his work ethic might not be enough to compensate for any lack of ability. He's an athletic big lad, in theory at least he should be able to break with speed, but I agree you need a bit more than that. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks.