Morelos Selected For Colombia Squad

Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos named in Colombia squad by boss Carlos Quieroz

RANGERS striker Alfredo Morelos has earned a recall to the Colombia squad for the matches with South Korea and Japan.

The 22-year-old made his international debut in the friendly victory over Venezuela last year.

And new boss Carlos Quieroz has rewarded him for his fine scoring form in Light Blue by naming him in his first group.

Morelos has scored 28 goals for Rangers this season and signed a new contract that runs until 2023 before the draw with Hibernian on Friday night.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/news/17492592.rangers-striker-alfredo-morelos-named-in-colombia-squad-by-boss-carlos-quieroz/

• Frankie changed the title to Morelos Selected For Colombia Squad

Alfred Morelos is 'future of football in Colombia' as Rangers striker is hailed by Carlos Queiroz

The striker is named in the squad to face Japan and South Korea and Queiroz is clearly a big fan.

Alfredo Morelos has been hailed as the future by new Colombia boss Carlos Queiroz after he handed him an international recall.

The Rangers striker is in the South American country's squad for the matches against Japan and South Korea.

And Rangers will be desperately hoping he gets through the games unscathed ahead of the game against Celtic days later at the end of March.

Former Real Madrid and Portugal manager Queiroz has made it clear he's a big fan of Morelos after including him ahead of £30 million Villarreal striker Carlos Bacca, who has 52 caps.

He said: "It was a difficult call to name the squad because we have so many talented players.

"I called up Alfredo Morelos because he is in very good form for Rangers as you can see with the number of goals he has scored.

"I wanted to give Alfredo a chance. He's young and is the future of football in Colombia.

"Carlos Bacca is not out of my plans at all, but I wanted to take a good look at Alfredo in these games. I haven't closed the door on Carlos.

"I need to look to the future and Alfredo is young and represents that."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alfred-morelos-future-football-colombia-14121858

Getting picked ahead of Carlos Bacca shows how he is rated by the Colombian management team.

He now needs to go out there and take his chance.

His previous call-up came from the previous manager.

The fact that the new manager has also called him up is encouraging for his future.

Unfortunately, the long trip isn't the best preperation for the Celtic game.

There always seems to be something that has us going into that fixture at less than 100%.