Dave King apologises to Steve Clarke

Rangers chairman Dave King apologises to Steve Clarke as he hits out at sectarian abuse

Rangers chairman Dave King has apologised to Steve Clarke and insists the club are "deeply distressed" by the sectarian abuse directed at the Kilmarnock boss.

Clarke hit out at the Ibrox club and its fans on Wednesday night after being taunted with chants of "****** b*****d" during his side's 5-0 Scottish Cup defeat.

In an emotional press conference, the Killie boss slammed the abuse and said it was like living in the "dark ages".

King has now released a strongly-worded statement in which he insisted Rangers "abhor" the treatment dished out to Clarke and vowed to root out the bigots.

It said: "Myself and every single person at the Rangers Football Club abhors the sectarian element that continues to be so prevalent in Scottish football.

"We will continue to do everything we can at our club to root sectarianism out and to deal in the strongest manner possible with any individuals that are found to have engaged in such practices.

"We are also deeply distressed that Steve Clarke has been subjected to this unwarranted abuse and, on behalf of myself and the club, I offer our most sincere apology and hope that it does not deflect from the wonderful job he has done at Kilmarnock.

"He is a top manager and it would be a great loss to Scottish football if incidents like this forced him away from our game."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-chairman-dave-king-apologises-14035963?1

2 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

The thing is will the ar*****es at our club listen fat chance.

I’m not sure the appetite amongst many of our support to tackle this is there any more? Ten years ago when it was perceived a level playing field then there was a consensus to tackle this. Now I think there is a much harder stance; after years of watching our fans and club being attacked while the other side promote bigotry and bile with impunity.

Im not disagreeing with you MacK, I’m just not sure the feeling is there as it once was amongst many of the supporters?