Allan McGregor on Ibrox return

Rangers star Allan McGregor on Ibrox return, Wes Foderingham and advice for young Robby McCrorie

ALLAN McGREGOR admits he never thought he'd get the chance to play for Rangers again.

The Scotland No1 then enjoyed stints down south with Cardiff City and Hull before returning to Gers in the summer.

But McGregor feared his time as a Rangers player had come and gone until a surprise phone call from John Brown last season.

He told Rangers TV: “I never really thought it would have happened.

"It was only probably April when Bomber phoned me and as soon as I thought there was a chance I was obviously over the moon.

“I always wanted it to get over the line. You can never count your chickens and until it was done and dusted, I was always thinking it might not happen.”

Fans favourite Greegsy is one of the most experienced players in the Ibrox dressing room.

The 36-year-old knows all about winning silverware, having lifted 11 trophies during his first spell at the club.

McGregor now hopes his winning mentality can rub off on the youngster players, revealing he has taken Glenn Middleton under his wing.

He said: “I try to say a few bits and bobs when the time’s right.

"I try to help the younger boys, Glenn for example.

"I try to bring that because I want it again and I’m sure everybody in that changing room does.”

McGregor is being pushed hard for a place between the sticks by ousted first-choice keeper Wes Foderingham.

But the Player of the Year contender insists competition can only be healthy as Steven Gerrard's side battle Celtic and Kilmarnock for the title.

He said: “I think it does. I think at any football club these days, you’re going to have up to four goalies all pushing.

"It doesn’t change anything from the way I train. I always try and do my best.

"I always try and work hard. I think I’ve been that way since I was young."

Foderingham, though, isn't the only Gers keeper desperate for first-team action.

Academy kid Robby McCrorie - brother of Ross - has been making great strides and won plaudits during his loan spell at Berwick Rangers last season.

McGregor knows the challenges ahead for the 20-year-old, having spent time out at St Johnstone and Dunfermline during his early career, before landing his top team chance.

But he has urged the youngster to find another loan club this month to help speed up his development.

He said: "I've been very impressed with Robby.

"I obviously worked with him years ago, but I think he was only 14 or 15 at the time.

"I speak to him all the time and I think he wants to go and play. I know he went out last season and he has to go out and play on loan again.

"It definitely helped my career and I’m sure it will help his.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3699598/allan-mcgregor-rangers-return/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1546528590