Kyle Lafferty returns to Northern Ireland squad

Rangers star Kyle Lafferty returns to Northern Ireland squad despite fall-out with Michael O'Neill

The striker missed the last international break after pulling out late on but is now back in the squad.

Kyle Lafferty has returned to the Northern Ireland squad despite last month's public falling out.

The Rangers striker was suspended for a game against Hamilton after he pulled out of the Northern Ireland squad for games against Austria and Bosnia at the last minute.

It prompted a public show of anger from boss Michael O'Neill while Steven Gerrard admitted his frontman had handled things badly.

But now Lafferty back in O'Neill's squad for a friendly against the Republic of Ireland in Dublin and a Nations League clash with Austria.

O'Neill said: "I've had a good conversation with Kyle Lafferty and the senior players. We are all happy that he is back in the squad."

Lafferty will miss Rangers' Europa League clash with Spartak Moscow in Russia after picking up a muscle injury, and also was absent for last weekend's win over St Mirren.

He's joined in the squad by fellow Rangers star Gareth McAuley Hearts defender Aaron Hughes, Celtic youngster Connor Hazard, Motherwell stopper Trevor Carson, Aberdeen star Naill McGinn and Kilmarnock's Jordan Jones.

A number of former SPFL are also in the squad including Josh Magennis, Steven Davis, Jordan Thompson, Michael McGovern and Liam Boyce.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-star-kyle-lafferty-returns-13556385

Ridiculous. He should concentrate on getting himself fit as one of only two strikers at the club and with Alfredo only one booking away from a suspension, not pissing off to join up with a manager that threw him under the bus and got him suspended for an important club game just a few weeks ago.

O'Neill has some brass neck on him.

Meanwhile ...

Gareth McAuley: A huge asset for both country and club insists Jonny Evans

Nicky Fullerton
Published: 07:00 Tuesday 13 November 2018

Northern Ireland’s Jonny Evans is glad Gareth McAuley is back in the mix for Thursday’s international friendly against the Republic of Ireland insisting the veteran defender will be a big hit at Glasgow Rangers.

McAuley joined Steven Gerrard’s outfit after being at West Bromich Albion for seven seasons and Evans believes he will be a huge success with the Scottish side.
“I played alongside G for three years at West Brom and before that with Northern Ireland so we have played a lot of football together.
“He has always amazed me how good a player that he is and how good an athlete that he is.
“People always bring up his age and you cannot deny the fact that he is the age that he is.
“The way that he can get around the pitch and compete - he is still athletic. He is a great player and a great asset for us.
“He is obviously fantastic in the air and he is quicker than people think. And he is a very good reader of the game.
“During our time at West Brom we developed a very good partnership and understanding each other’s game.
“That takes time and we were obviously playing together a lot so we understand each others’s game quite a bit.
“I also felt for Gareth a bit. Because the last time that he came in to the NI squad he was feeling his calf a bit.
“He has just signed for a new club so it’s good to have him back and he’s a big character in amongst our squad which is good competition for everyone.”
Evans admitted he is looking forward to going up against Republic assistant manager Roy Keane who played a bit part in his development when he was starting out in football.
“Massive, he was the player I looked up to most when I was growing up as a United fan. He was the United captain and then I went on to play for him at Sunderland in two loan spells.

“He was a big inspiration for me and I still think of him a lot when I am on the pitch. I think , if Roy Keane was in this situation and things were tough then he’d roll his sleeves up and continue fighting’.
“Sometimes maybe I think ‘is he still watching me?’ - he’s still got that hold on me!”
“It was my first time playing competitive league football in England.
“When you are a young player and making your way up you always wonder as whether you can make that next step up.
“It was the next progression for me at that time. And I was grateful that he had given me that opportunity to go to Sunderland as I had been on loan at Antwerp, but then word went around that Sunderland were interested and he was the manager. It was a no-brainer and I could not wait to get up there.”

https://www.ballymenatimes.com/sport/football/gareth-mcauley-a-huge-asset-for-both-country-and-club-insists-jonny-evans-1-8703422