[FT] Rangers 3 (Morelos 6; Tavernier 50pen; Coulibaly 86) - 1 Maribor

Giving the ball away cheaply in midfield was a bit of a problem. They pressed and made it difficult but hopefully that was a good lesson for a couple of players. 

The otjer great thing is that whilst we want to want to build a team the market value of existing players can only go up if we progress. It’s only half-time tho as SG said. 

18 minutes ago, buster. said:

I don't think he is suspended.

IIRC it's 3 yellow cards before a suspension kicks in.

He was booked home and away to Osijek. Which makes his challenge last night all the more mindless. 

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

He was booked home and away to Osijek. Which makes his challenge last night all the more mindless. 

You are right, my mistake. I thought it was only once.

Does Wallace come into consideration or will it be Halliday ?

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

Quote from Gerrard

“But, there was something about our shape and something about our distances tonight that didn’t really feel right from probably 15, 20 minutes to half time. As a staff, we put that right, and as a team, we asked them to go and carry that out with a better shape, more togetherness and going and pressing the ball as a team rather than individuals doing their own thing within it."

Aside from the fact that they have the tactical knowledge and ability to address what was happening, I could help but notice his humility in his willingness to publically share the praise with the rest of his team.

Gerrard for me comes across as an extremely honest type of guy. He's not going to sit there prevaricating if asked uncomfortable questions he will address it as he sees it. And that's one of the reasons I was so irritated by the grief he got for simply saying we were a class above the sheep last Sunday. We were and anybody watching could clearly see it including Gerrard.

Yesterday apparently McInnes said that Swansea aren't good enough for McKenna but I saw no screams of disrespecting Swansea.

25 minutes ago, buster. said:

Does Wallace come into consideration or will it be Halliday ?

I wish but there’s no chance when he hasn’t even been making the bench and shows no sign of backing down. 

Its either Halliday or probably a change of shape to a back 3 with McCrorie in a back 3 maybe. I wouldn’t mind keeping the same formation and putting McCrorie left back for the night but I doubt it will happen. 

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Anyone else think we played a situational back-three last night, at least initially?

I felt Flanagan was narrow, with Kent and Tavernier bringing the width on either side; Candeias was narrow too, allowing Tavernier space wide. 

We went back to a more orthodox shape halfway through the first half, when the distances between players started to stretch.

It may be that Flanagan was being conservative, and Tavernier was his normal bombing self? 

Pretty much the whole way through looked like a 4-1-4-1 to me.

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

That will come into it, but Flanagan did eventually play higher up, which made me think it was a ploy. Perhaps just having the FB at the opposite side tuck in, while the ball side FB plays high?

This would be normal practice, otherwise you end up with a back 2

3 hours ago, DMAA said:

His challenge last night wasn’t a foul, let alone a booking.