Official: Barisic signs on a 4 year deal

15 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Really pleased with the Barisic signing. Should be good value at £2m

Maybe we should be looking more often in countries like Croatia for signings instead of paying over to he odds elsewhere. Any Croatian strikers we could be looking at ?

Manzukic!

20 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Would you say the same about ''scouse'? It's actually a type of stew!

They refer to themselves as Scouse, and to their mutilations of the English language similarly.

George Mellly, a posh boy, a jazz singer ( and much else, too much to mention, especially in a family oriented media outlet) called the 1st volume of his autobiography "Scouse Mouse". 

(Scouse, as far as I know, thanks to Patrick O'Brian's historical novels on the Napoleonic War at sea, to which I would commend your interest,  is a contraction of lobscouse, a stew dished up to Britannia's fighting men.)

Edited by Uilleam

"Keelies" is an old usage (sorry, S7, but it is) which seems to have dropped out of common parlance. 

It's origin, I have been told, relates to the influx of Irish immigrants in the 19th C, and is a corruption of "Kellys". This may be nonsense, but I have never heard another explanation. I stand to be corrected, if anyone has a better account. 

"Weegies" is a term dreamed up by East coast hicks, in a Leith Wine Bar, as some kind of pejorative label. It has, however, never stuck, and is not recognised by the native of No Mean City. Its use is an irritation, like midges, and tells one more about the person applying the term than it does about the person to whom it is applied. 

Edited by Uilleam

Not Kellys but ghillies or a corruption thereof. Glesca bobbies in the old days  were usually big Highland stirks -and Presbyterian, gaelic speaking strirks at that. So when they were hailing malefactors to stop what they were doing they would shout “hey, ghillie” (“hey, fellow”)

Just be thankful the bobbies weren’t recruited from the north-east. They would have been shouting “hey, loon”. Better Glesca keelies than Glesca looneys.

1 minute ago, Scott7 said:

Not Kellys but ghillies or a corruption thereof. Glesca bobbies in the old days  were usually big Highland stirks -and Presbyterian, gaelic speaking strirks at that. So when they were hailing malefactors to stop what they were doing they would shout “hey, ghillie” (“hey, fellow”)

Just be thankful the bobbies weren’t recruited from the north-east. They would have been shouting “hey, loon”. Better Glesca keelies than Glesca looneys.

I have never heard that before, but I bow to your years, and stand corrected. 

One wonders if the ghillies whom they apprehended were generally Kellys........

16 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

I have never heard that before, but I bow to your years, and stand corrected. 

One wonders if the ghillies whom they apprehended were generally Kellys........

I've never heard that either but always understood 'keelie' as pejorative. 'Weegie' may have originated as a pejorative term by the trainspotters, but I think we should embrace and own it - I would not be too upset to be called a 'weegie' - been called worse! You're right about the Patrick O'Brian reference to 'scouse' - I have heard that also.

2 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

I think my keelie derivation was a speculation by Jack House rather than a proven fact. Sounds right, though.

Barisic will need to know this when he’s chasing down enemy wingers.

I can't dispute the wisdom of professional keelie, Jack House. 

Mind you, it may have been difficult to distinguish between "Kelly" and "Ghillie" when shouted in the fags and whisky soaked voice of a hielan' polisman.