Steven Gerrard backs Josh Windass to respond to Ibrox jeers

We signed Windass to develop  him & sell him on. He was a much improved player last season. Our 2nd top scorer.

if he improves again this season we’ll make a tidy profit on him when he inevitably gets sold 

35 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

We signed Windass to develop  him & sell him on. He was a much improved player last season. Our 2nd top scorer.

if he improves again this season we’ll make a tidy profit on him when he inevitably gets sold 

That really gets the blood pumping as opposed to, say, signing players who will win us trophies.

11 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

That really gets the blood pumping as opposed to, say, signing players who will win us trophies.

We have to be realistic. There’s no money in Scottish football. TVdeals are crap & commercial deals way below the top leagues 

Our business plan has to be to sign mostly younger players & develop them whilst at the same time winning trophies with them before selling them on.

Like Ajax have done for decades

11 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Surely Ejaria will be a squad player. SG can't be so naïve as to pin his creative hopes on him. Sunderland fans reckoned the boy to be murder. Different scenario of course but it points to the old adage, if someone can't cut it elsewhere, the chances of them doing the business at Ibrox are slim. As such, we should only countenance players on the way up (not that Ove is going in the opposite direction). To be fair to the manager, he's alluded to this notion in some of his interviews.

Unlike a lot of the support who thought he was great I seen nothing in the lad that would suggest he'll be anything other than a squad player. Apart from a couple of nice feints and an possible pen he more or less just walked about. Theres no doubt about it that he showed flashes of decent feet and control but not enough for me for the length of time he was on the park, 25 mins, supposedly as replacement for Arfield who had been the link between mid/forwards. It wasn't until Middleton came on that he started to do anything and even then there was one break where he runs 30 yards towards goal carrying the ball and hits it straight off the defender when its easier to go round him or take it to either side and lay it off.

I suspect we'll see one from McRorie, Rossiter as the link between def/mid Coulibaly as the destroyer and one from Jack, Candeias, Arfield as #8. In front of them I think we'll see Murphy, Middleton interchanged on one side of the park with Windass and The Flute being the same scenario on the other. There are possibilities to use Murphy as the #8 and Caneias as the outside (Windass position) of the front three also but Morelos for now (until we sign a CF) will be our #9.

Edited by Big Jaws

22 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

We have to be realistic. There’s no money in Scottish football. TVdeals are crap & commercial deals way below the top leagues 

Our business plan has to be to sign mostly younger players & develop them whilst at the same time winning trophies with them before selling them on.

Like Ajax have done for decades

That is becoming harder though because all the top teams are like Spanish Trawlers. They trawl for all the fish and throw back the fish they don't want.

12 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

Unlike a lot of the support who thought he was great I seen nothing in the lad that would suggest he'll be anything other than a squad player.

I thought he looked pretty clumsy.  Harsh to judge after 25 minutes but I'm not holding any real belief that he'll be a big player for us.

8 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I thought he looked pretty clumsy.  Harsh to judge after 25 minutes but I'm not holding any real belief that he'll be a big player for us.

I think thats just because he's tall and athletic Gonzo but in saying that I kind of get what you mean. Personally speaking on a surface like Ibrox park I like to see a player who is constantly up on his toes as it suggests to me that he is already alert ready to spring into action. I didn't get or see that with him in fact a couple of times he looked asleep got to the player to close down but should have been there earlier. If that makes any sense to you at all? 

Edited by Big Jaws

I was more concerned with his on the ball demeanour.  He didn't have great control, looked a bit unsure what to do what to do with the ball and run into opposition players a couple of times.

Maybe it'll take him a couple of matches to get up to speed.

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I was more concerned with his on the ball demeanour.  He didn't have great control, looked a bit unsure what to do what to do with the ball and run into opposition players a couple of times.

Maybe it'll take him a couple of matches to get up to speed.

I didn't think he looked clumsy, he has some nice control and Its entirely possible that he was exceptionally nervous. Don't forget he's a young lad making his début in front of 51k Rangers supporters who are frustrated and unhappy at the score only being 1-0 at the time. As I say he did grow into it more when Middleton came on so maybe I'm being overly harsh on him but as I say I only got 'squad player' vibe from what I did see of him.