Steven Gerrard admits he’s scouting possible targets at Toulon

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard admits he’s scouting possible targets at Toulon Tournament as he continues Uefa Pro-Licence

Gerrard’s focus on his studies is not side-tracking him from working with Ibrox director of football Mark Allen and head of scouting Andy Scoulding.

STEVEN GERRARD is scouting possible targets in France.

The new Rangers boss is watching the Toulon Tournament as part of his Uefa Pro-Licence.

On Thursday he saw Japan v Canada and then Portugal v Turkey — and today he was taking in England’s game against Qatar.

On the day he started officially as Gers boss, Gerrard said: “There’s a level of footballer here which of course would interest me.

“I’m on the Pro- Licence course, which is the last course in terms of being qualified.

“While here I want to kill two birds with one stone.

“I want to see what talent is there, if there’s anyone who interests me.

“I’ve got tasks to do within the course but I also have a wandering eye on what’s going on with certain individuals.”

Gerrard’s focus on his studies is not side-tracking him from working with Ibrox director of football Mark Allen and head of scouting Andy Scoulding.

He said: “The phone’s been going non-stop.

“Obviously I’ve been working really closely with Mark and Andy in terms of targets.

“We are also talking about players we’ve already got, how we see the squad shaping up.

“There’s a ton of work to do, I think everyone is aware of that.

“The contract obviously started from June 1 but the ball has been rolling for a lot longer.

“I’ve got a fair idea of what needs to be done already.”

Gerrard, 38, is in an English FA group of around 30, including ex-Manchester United goalie Peter Schmeichel.

He added: “I watched two games last night and I’ve been in the classroom most of the day.

“I’m halfway through the Licence. This time next year I’ll be finished.

“A lot of people on the course have been saying congratulations.

“They’re very respectful of Rangers.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2727042/steven-gerrard-scouting-rangers-targets-toulon-transfers/