Pena will 'not continue' with Cruz Azul loan deal

On-loan Rangers midfielder Carlos Pena will not remain at Cruz Azul, the club's manager Pedro Caixinha has confirmed.

Pena joined the Mexican club on a deal until January 2019, rejoining Caixinha who signed him for Rangers.

But the Portuguese manager has confirmed that Pena will not play for Cruz Azul again.

"Carlos [Peña] is not going to continue with us, he has known it directly from me," Caixinha said.

Pena, who was signed by the Ibrox last summer for an undisclosed fee reported to be around £2m, scored five goals in 14 Rangers appearances.

He has played seven times for Cruz Azul since joining them in January, but his last appearance was on 4 April, in a 2-1 defeat by CF America.

Caixinha was sacked by Rangers in late October after just seven months in charge.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44062149

17 minutes ago, buster. said:

It's not so much about being back or not, it's the monthly wage he'll be picking up in exchange for nowt.

Presumably that would be covered by the loan agreement. 

36 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Presumably that would be covered by the loan agreement. 

I haven't seen the contract but I read somewhere about a clause that allowed the Mexican club to cancel the loan deal (that seems to be getting used) and surely they would stop paying the wage. Whether there would be some kind of extra payment, I obviously don't know.

He's under the same rules and standards of conduct as every other players at Rangers, if he's overstepped the mark or broke those rules, whether or not he's on loan. Then surely he'll face a disciplinary procedure either now or after his loan spell?

Pena is an annoying one....the lad clearly has bags of skill & Talent, but just doesn't appear to focus enough on his playing.

Maybe SG could impart some of his experience/wisdom to Pena & give him a glimpse of what he could be.  I fear, however that will NOT be the case.

Said it before ... having him with us would probably mean he gets away from his troubles in Mexico, chicas, alcohol, whatever. You can see his ability in glimpses, 5 goals in 14 games tells its story ... not least with a chap half-fit. Obviously, we are no rehab-centre, but who knows. Staying in Britain and being supervised a little may bring the player out of him, if his mind is with it. After all, who would not rip oneself apart to be part of the Gerrard revolution, play "in Europe" and end up in the EPL :shifty::D

You wonder what will be made of this loan deal. It was strangely long and who knows how it can be terminated / shortened. I would assume King is not privvy to the finer details. Methinks we cut Beerman's loan deal short as he was getting no games at QP or the like?