Dave King: Evening Times

13 minutes ago, buster. said:

What we have to do is to continue building our club from the bottom up. The football operation should be able to reach a point where it pays for itself.

A few things can turn it around. One of the big ones is growing our own assets. Our youth teams appear to be getting on well. If we produce just 2 or 3 top players, they could be a huge help to closing the gap either by improving or squad or by making us a lot of money. Look at Kieran Tierney. He has cost Celtic nothing other than the standard youth player costs and he's now being called a £20m player. For every 1 of those Celtic produces we need to be producing 2.

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

A few things can turn it around. One of the big ones is growing our own assets. Our youth teams appear to be getting on well. If we produce just 2 or 3 top players, they could be a huge help to closing the gap either by improving or squad or by making us a lot of money. Look at Kieran Tierney. He has cost Celtic nothing other than the standard youth player costs and he's now being called a £20m player. For every 1 of those Celtic produces we need to be producing 2.

I'd settle for one to be getting on with.

When you see Billy Gilmour leave so early for relative peanuts, it's a real kick in the gonads and it shows that this isn't only about bringing the players through.

first & foremost, we need a team that functions together.....cost of which is virtually zero.

Look at the teams that have taken points from Ceptic this season, they're entire teams probably cost less than one of their players...yet they still took points because the operate as a single, effective unit - we don't.  As a result of that, we could bring in multiple high-value players & still be no better.

Hopefully SG will bring in that team mentality....then start throwing in some better players & the overall level of the TEAM will increase.

10 minutes ago, buster. said:

I'd settle for one to be getting on with.

When you see Billy Gilmour leave so early for relative peanuts, it's a real kick in the gonads and it shows that this isn't only about bringing the players through.

Part of the problem with Billy Gilmour is that he constantly shone, which meant all and sundry were looking for him.  Not sure if Tierney shone in the youths to the same extent, but I had hear nothing about him until he was in their first team.  The one I HAVE heard about at Celtic is Karamoko Dembele and it is already rumoured he will sign for Man City when he turns 16 - which will leave Celtic in a similar situation to us in that they can't prevent him leaving and will have to negotiate a settlement or hope they are favourably treated at tribunal.

I think we did as well as we could expect out of Billy Gilmour - Chelsea could have got him for nothing but didn't want to lose him to another higher bidder so were happy to pay the fee (right now looking like they have won a watch with him, he is a star in the making) - but I also believe that UEFA need to do more to protect the smaller nations from this which is now happening all too frequently.  600k for a club like Chelsea is nothing - and when they can offer the wages they can then any youngster would be daft not to accept (regardless, almost, of succeeding at such a large club).

There is another one coming through right now who is a real, real talent and we can but hope he continues to progress but also that he sees his future at Rangers - we need to keep these talented youngsters, give them the exposure in the first team, and then sell them on for decent profit.

23 minutes ago, craig said:

Part of the problem with Billy Gilmour is that he constantly shone, which meant all and sundry were looking for him.  Not sure if Tierney shone in the youths to the same extent, but I had hear nothing about him until he was in their first team.  The one I HAVE heard about at Celtic is Karamoko Dembele and it is already rumoured he will sign for Man City when he turns 16 - which will leave Celtic in a similar situation to us in that they can't prevent him leaving and will have to negotiate a settlement or hope they are favourably treated at tribunal.

I think we did as well as we could expect out of Billy Gilmour - Chelsea could have got him for nothing but didn't want to lose him to another higher bidder so were happy to pay the fee (right now looking like they have won a watch with him, he is a star in the making) - but I also believe that UEFA need to do more to protect the smaller nations from this which is now happening all too frequently.  600k for a club like Chelsea is nothing - and when they can offer the wages they can then any youngster would be daft not to accept (regardless, almost, of succeeding at such a large club).

There is another one coming through right now who is a real, real talent and we can but hope he continues to progress but also that he sees his future at Rangers - we need to keep these talented youngsters, give them the exposure in the first team, and then sell them on for decent profit.

Agreed !

We need some late developers but the problem there is you often get rid early doors.

We had Lewis Morgan but apparantly considered him too small.

They had Andy Robertson (Lawwell must be spewing).

Whilst impossible to be perfect or possess a crystal ball, we need a football dept. who are better at their job, eg. see the talent in the likes of Morgan and recognise affordable talent when it is playing against you for Queens Park.

Edited by buster.

12 minutes ago, buster. said:

Agreed !

We need some late developers but the problem there is you often get rid early doors.

We had Lewis Morgan but apparantly considered him too small.

They had Andy Robertson (Lawwell must be spewing).

Whilst impossible to be perfect or possess a crystal ball, we need a football dept. who are better at their job, eg. see the talent in the likes of Morgan and recognise talent when it playing against you for Queens Park.

I could be wrong but I think that the two clubs have reversed mentality of late.  They have gone with more physical players whilst we have gone with more technical players.  I THINK (could be wrong).  I do know that we certainly are favouring more technical players - it is these type of players who are the ones to make you your money - we are in the dark ages when we let players go because they are "too small".  Being small and diminutive never hurt Messi, Xavi or Iniesta.  They can physically cope with the game as they get older - you just nurture the technical talent.  Rangers have toyed with bio-banding previously too (and I think they still use it) - bio-banding is where you put a player up or down age groups in accordance to his physical stature - so you could have an excellent technical talent who isn't as big or strong as his age group - so he plays down a year where he wont be lost in the physicality.  Not saying I support it because playing against your peer age group also makes sense as their footballing brain should be a little more advanced.  And you get to learn the physical aspects.

I know that when Ross McCrorie went to Ayr Utd on loan he would come back to Auchenhowie on the Monday with bruises everywhere and would say he had never been in a more physical game - he thoroughly enjoyed that side of the game though - played through the physical battles and now seems to actually thrive on them.

Didn't realise Robertson had been at Celtic - Lawell will be livid :D

When club's tell a young player they are releasing him because he's 'too small' they aren't telling the truth. It's a kind way of saying 'we don't think you're good enough'. It leaves the player with some hope, they are able to contextualise the rejection and deal with it differently that way. A player can't do anything about his size, so the rejection doesn't hurt as much. I mean you only have to go and look at the players parents to get a fairly accurate idea of what height and build they'll have, even that's not beyond our youth coaches surely.

There is a good argument that clubs the size of Rangers shouldn't have a youth set-up. A young player needs to be so exceptional to make our first team that the odds are simply stacked against them. Morgan is a perfect example. Let St Mirren develop him, make his mistakes there and learn the game, then if he's good enough he joins us. Docherty is another example. Would he have made it at Rangers if he'd joined us from school? He certainly wouldn't have played nearly 100 first team games by the age of 20 if he had. He got that chance at Hamilton where there is less pressure and less scrutiny. Perhaps we should invest our resources in helping a couple of smaller sides develop young players instead, with us taking first refusal on them.