Pena sacked by Cruz Azul

On 28/4/2018 at 15:18, Rousseau said:

I still think he could do a job for us.

He's good in the box, sh*te out of it. Perhaps too expensive an impact player, but if he's used intelligently, he could play his part in paying off the outlay.  

I'm perhaps being too optimistic here -- we do need everyone pulling their weight.  

I've heard of semi-professionals but Pena coming back, adds a semi-retired player to our squad.

There is no "perhaps" about it, the guy is finished. 

Even if we wanted to sack him, I doubt we could without following the proper process of offering him support for his alcohol problems first - even if he's arguably in breach of contract.

Whoever sanctioned this transfer should also be receiving their jotters.

5 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Even if we wanted to sack him, I doubt we could without following the proper process of offering him support for his alcohol problems first - even if he's arguably in breach of contract.

Whoever sanctioned this transfer should also be receiving their jotters.

Pedro and his management team talked a good game. He even managed to talk his way into the Rangers managers job. Selling Pena as a world class star that  was off the rails but that Pedro could control would not be too difficult. Even the best people can get conned by a good con-man. His judgement should certainly be put under the loop in the future though if not sacked. I think they were hoping for another Gascoigne. 

I wouldn't have minded if the guy cost peanuts so was a relatively low gamble.

However, we was our marquee signing and has cost us millions for little or no return despite people knowing of his problems beforehand.

OK, we're all using hindsight here but the signing of Pena was reckless and our homework clearly not done.  We can't afford such mistakes.

Unfortunately, perhaps, the Board, or the non football/financial management, backed their new football manager, as he, and most supporters, would expect.

Not to do so, with his feet barely under the desk, would  have meant a very tricky start, difficult relations within the Club, and a ready made excuse for on field shortcomings. 

Hopefully, having a Dof F will minimise the chances of 'inappropriate' or very high risk recruitment. 

Just now, Uilleam said:

Unfortunately, perhaps, the Board, or the non football/financial management, backed their new football manager, as he, and most supporters, would expect.

Not to do so, with his feet barely under the desk, would  have meant a very tricky start, difficult relations within the Club, and a ready made excuse for on field shortcomings. 

Hopefully, having a Dof F will minimise the chances of 'inappropriate' or very high risk recruitment. 

Yes, it was what AJ called "institutional failure" that brought Pedro Caixinha to the club, gave him a budget to work with and then brought in a DoF.

I'd imagine that AJ is insisting on business being conducted in a 'proper way' this time with regard to who is responsible for what is the right man within the set-up. However, this wouldn't give any guarantees.

For what it's worth, I thought I'd tell you about Pena.  I was surprised that he came to us in the first place, especially for the little money we paid for him.  I didn't know about his off the field troubles but I did know about how good he was on it.  I've watched him many times and this guy is class.  I don't mean fake class like Dorrans or Goss.  I mean real class like Gazza.  He took a while to settle into the game up here but when he did, I liked the look of him, although he never hit the heights I expected him to.  And again, in my opinion, we sent him packing just when he was starting to regain his form.  Pena has always looked clumsy, but he has the skill and an eye for goals.  He's also much faster and fitter than he looks.  I just wish we had tried him in Murty's system because it's the role he was designed for.  That's all water under the bridge now, but it's such a shame that a talented player like that allowed his problems with alcohol to ruin what should have been a glittering career.  I am comfortable taking risks, and he is one I would have happily sanctioned had I been on the board.  Some say we are not in a position to take risks, but I can't see us taking the next step in our development in we don't take a few more.  As for Pena, I hope he sorts himself out because he is a delight to watch and I just hope he gets a chance to show it somewhere before it's too late.