Scott Arfield pre-contract deal?

28 minutes ago, stewarty said:

I wonder how this squares with his leanings towards the Hooped Hordes.  

He hasn't been shy in making clear his allegiances, by all accounts.

Any proof of that? just asking.

I have heard his family support the dark side??, but this should not even come into it, if he wants to sign for us then he will be an upgrade on what we have, Mo Johnston did ok for us

2 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I agree he could play the number ten role, but I'm reluctant to agree to your "quality over potential" preference.  I understand we have to feel some progress is being made, but this is just a sticking plaster approach to our rebuild.  We need to build our squad and club back up again and we can't be shelling out funds each year for players overnight the age of 30+.  We can't afford to do it and it takes valuable game time away from our younger players.  That doesn't make sense to me.  I'd rather we have a small number of older role models and really focus on developing our young players.  That means we have to be tolerant though, and I doubt that many of our fans are happy to accept that losing games due to individual mistakes is part of our journey back.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting we abandon that approach; far from it.

I was merely stating that we do need to improve the general quality now. But, we still need to acquire young potential.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

I'll worry about new players when we see who will be coaching them next season. Knowing Rangers, the new manager will probably be the last to arrive.

While that is certainly not an agreeable situation, our DoF should mitigate those issues somewhat.

1 minute ago, ian1964 said:

I have heard his family support the dark side??, but this should not even come into it, if he wants to sign for us then he will be an upgrade on what we have, Mo Johnston did ok for us

Good question.   I first heard about the Arfield link on the H&H pod before christmas, and at that point Davie Edgar mentioned that he his social media output made it pretty obvious where his allegiances lie.   I haven't verified it for myself so perhaps I'm as guilty as those I'm decrying, for continuing such discussions.

Like I say, personally it wouldn't bother me as I'll look at each player's contribution on its merits.   Standby for any 'errant' tweets or insta posts to be drudged up if the pre-contract rumours intensify or are confirmed.

3 hours ago, ian1964 said:

And, to be fair, Scott Brown has done OK for them despite being a bluenose.  If they can do a job then their affiliations mean nothing IMO.

56 minutes ago, craig said:

And, to be fair, Scott Brown has done OK for them despite being a bluenose.  If they can do a job then their affiliations mean nothing IMO.

You have Scott Allan as well. I reckon he's cost us at least 4 points this season. Two up at Dundee and another two for Hibs at Ibrox.