Wenger to leave Arsenal at end of season

It was time, probably about two seasons ago.........

---------------------------

Arsene Wenger is to leave Arsenal at the end of the season, ending a near 22-year reign at the club.

The Frenchman departs a year before his latest contract was due to expire.

The Gunners are sixth in the league and set to miss out on a top-four spot for the second straight season, with their hopes of reaching the Champions League resting on winning the Europa League.

Wenger, 68, won three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups, including the Double in 1998 and 2002.....................

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43834283

I see the campaign has started to install Rogers as a prime candidate to take over at Arsenal. He won’t get the job but Celtic is sending a clear signal that Rogers is available while basking in yet another shrewd PR exercise. 

One imagines that the Arsenal would have someone selected to take over, possibly even signed and sealed, already, to be unveiled immediately, or in short order after Wenger's Last Match. I think it will be one of his old boys, the most likely candidate being Patrick Vieira. 

I would be hugely surprised if Brenda Brent has figured in their succession planning, but as is suggested by Bill, above, fhilth fc and its media fanboys/girls will make hay with stories 'linking' him to the Emirates, and will spin even his absence on any short leet to advantage.

Maybe the toothy one will be lauded sufficiently, and for long enough, to enable him to press for a wage rise, more commensurate with the post at Arsenal......

Edited by Uilleam

He's the third most successful manager in English football history behind only Ferguson and Bob Paisley. He should have called it quits a couple of years ago but holding such a place among the greats he can still leave with his head held high.  

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, Vieira has done his apprenticeship in the MLS -- for Man City-owned NY City, ironically -- so he looks to be the most obvious option.

Really?

Nothing about appointing an MLS manager seems obvious to me.