Niko has left the building.

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

It is sad that we did not get him sooner,but it was a joy to watch him at times with his range of passes although some of his team mates did not have the savvy in how to work with him.

He goes with my best wishes and hopefully he might find a level to play at to see out his career.

Although younger, clever skillful players like Andy Penman or Dave Smith spring to mind. They could always see a pass before the ball reached them. Signing a guy at his age was always going to be a risk but that was the situation we appeared to be in at that time.

Thanks Boabie you mention two great names there Davie Smith a very good replacement for Slim Jim and Andy penman signed from Dundee.

Remember going to see Andy's debut game,in a reserve match,within a decent crowd.It was also the day of the Grand National in which Foinavon had the crazy historic win,there were so many transistor radios on it might have been possible that even the players heard the race.:rfc::party:

Says a lot about Niko's attitude that he didn't allow a really bad injury in 2016 to stop him trying to get back fully fit and playing. Didn't work out for him in the end but he'll always be welcome back to Ibrox.

9 minutes ago, compo said:

You can never fault a man for trying 

Agreed.

Ultimately, we was the wrong signing as he never really looked properly fit and hopefully (finally?!) it's a lesson learned that 90% of the time if past high quality players are plying their trade in far flung places it means they've effectively retired and certainly not capable of playing again in the high tempo of Scottish football.

12 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Thanks Boabie you mention two great names there Davie Smith a very good replacement for Slim Jim and Andy penman signed from Dundee.

Remember going to see Andy's debut game,in a reserve match,within a decent crowd.It was also the day of the Grand National in which Foinavon had the crazy historic win,there were so many transistor radios on it might have been possible that even the players heard the race.:rfc::party:

I remember the Foinavon race. We listened to it on the car radio on our way to the caravan in Arbroath.          ;)3

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:27, Frankie said:

it's a lesson learned that 90% of the time if past high quality players are plying their trade in far flung places it means they've effectively retired and certainly not capable of playing again in the high tempo of Scottish football.

I think that's the key. I think it's short sighted to say we should never sign a player in their thirties because of Kranjcar. Kranjcar had barely played at a competitive level in a 2 years when we signed him. That is completely incomparable to Steven Davis's record who seems to be miles fitter naturally and by training. I'm not necessarily saying we should sign him but it shouldn't be off the table because we played russian roulette with Niko.

Edited by DMAA

And that's not even to mention Niko's long history of injuries and seasons with very few appearances. Again compared to an outstanding record with Davis who's played more than 30 games every season since he signed for Rangers.

On 23/03/2018 at 20:49, MacK1950 said:

It is sad that we did not get him sooner,but it was a joy to watch him at times with his range of passes although some of his team mates did not have the savvy in how to work with him.

He goes with my best wishes and hopefully he might find a level to play at to see out his career.

When was he a joy to watch?