Graeme Murty looks back on the defeat to Celtic.

Despite a bad first half to the season which effectively lost us a title there for the taking this team should be good enough to secure a minimum second place no matter who is in charge. So if Murty can't do that he can't be considered. I would also now expect that no one else should be beating us at Ibrox.

It's not even the same team as that we had when Pedro was in charge.  The January window changed the complexion of it.

I think it's unfair to judge Murty on whether he can beat Celtic. I don't think it's unfair to judge him on whether he can beat Hibs, Aberdeen, Killie etc.

None of us like it but it's just a fact that Celtic have a squad with far more quality throughout, which cost about 5 times what ours cost to assemble. I do think the bigger difference is in now depth and we have a starting 11 who are capable of beating them. But for us to be beating them at this stage would still be to be punching above our weight.

Their revenue still stands at something like 4 times ours. Money talks in football and any Rangers manager is going to be performing miracles to make us no 1 in Scotland again until the club manages to close that turnover gap.

On Murty specifically. He seems to me to have a good tactical brain on him and we might have caught a very good manager at the start of a long career. If he finishes a strong second, the only man who can stop him getting the job is Steve Clarke.

Edited by DMAA

Strange that we have this debate every other week, not least after a draw or defeat. One could have one big "Murty" thread and be done with it.

He's got the job till the summer. We hardly know how the season will unfold, the game against the Scum was (and probably will be) decided more often than not by individual class, a mistake or indeed luck. Not least in such close contests. If we'd win the title on the back of four league losses to the Scum I'd still be happy enough and laugh in their smug faces. Preferrably, I'd beat them 4 times, but they are not the non plus ultra for me when it comes to the manager.

I reckon that should we stay in 2nd and hopefully snatch the cup, Murty will be a strong contender for the job. With the chaps now returning from injury, we'll have an even stronger team towards the end of the season, and we all have seen what happened last summer, so I guess we will prepare especially for that in the coming months.

It all depends on our ambition and that depends on budget. I’m happy with progress under him and our style of football but if a load of cash appears I’d want a more established winning manager and one who knows Scottish football. I don’t want to appear disrespectful but he might be as good as we can get at the moment. 

A more established manager and one who knows Scottish football!!!!! who the hell could that be we have been through this with McInness & Wright so the only other candidate could be Clarke who IMO is a shoe in for manager of the year.